What does detent mean?

/ What does detent mean? #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
Could someone please help me understand by explaining the meaning of detent? This is of great interest to me but I don't get the concepts of hydraulics very well.

Many thanks

/ What does detent mean? #2  
I don't know how it applies to hydraulics, but a detent is a stopping point in a lever or switch. Like there is a detent on most headlight switches where the switch stops "automatically" for the parking lights. Or on an automatic transmission shifter, there is usually a detent for 2nd and 3rd gear in the range of movement of the shift lever. Or when you open your car door, there is a detent about half-way or so when the door has a "stopping point" where it will stay partially open, and not swing freely. That's a detent!:)

/ What does detent mean? #3  
I don't know how it applies to hydraulics, but a detent is a stopping point in a lever or switch. Like there is a detent on most headlight switches where the switch stops "automatically" for the parking lights. Or on an automatic transmission shifter, there is usually a detent for 2nd and 3rd gear in the range of movement of the shift lever.

Good comparison. To add to that, it just means and device (usually spring loaded balls) that hold the joystick or valve lever in a fixed position other than neutral. Like the Float detent on the loader valve-it holds the joystick in that position until it's pulled out.

/ What does detent mean? #4  
Could someone please help me understand by explaining the meaning of detent? This is of great interest to me but I don't get the concepts of hydraulics very well.

Many thanks

Detent is a position on a valve spool where if you push or pull the lever to detent, the lever will stay at that position and the hydraulic fluid will continue to flow.

Essentially. it holds the lever at the detent position for whatever you are doing.

Detent in the float mode will allow the the fluid to flow with the up/down motion if the cylinders.

Detent on a hyd motor spool will allow the hyd motor to run for as long as the spool in in detent.

It allows for hands free operation.

/ What does detent mean?
Ahhhhhhhh, now I get it. Many thanks to the TBN experts!!!!:D

/ What does detent mean? #6  
Detente (French spelling). . . Wasn't that the US Gov't foreign policy with the Soviet Union regarding deployment of nuclear weapons?;) It meant lessoning of tensions. That's kinda the mechanical effect of a detent in a switch, lever, or actuator too.:D

/ What does detent mean? #8  
...I believe it means "the tent" in some neighborhoods.

You beat me to the punch.... I was going to say " I am going camping and sleep in" - "DE TENT"

/ What does detent mean? #9  
wouldn't the detent be common on hydraulic wood spliters?

/ What does detent mean? #10  
Only when we're talking about splitting hairs.... :rolleyes: