BX25 hydraulic top link

/ BX25 hydraulic top link #1  

Jeff H

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
The stock threaded top link on my BX25 travels from approx. 14" to 22"

I have been looking at some of the products mentioned here on TBN but have not found an exact match in a hydraulic top link.

Surplus Center has one 18.125" to 26.375" https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009110121470013&item=9-7682-08&catname=hydraulic

CCM shows 14" to 18" for Kubota BX, but they also show a 16" to 22.5" which seems a better compromise. Tractor Hydraulic toplinks, Top-N-Tilt, Side link cylinders

Is there one out there that is 14" to 22" just like the stock link?

I do see that Surplus Center has some that are closer in length if you search for "swivel eye" cylinders instead of "top links" but they don't have the check valve.

If you are settling for a compromise, what retracted-extended lengths are you other BX owners using?

/ BX25 hydraulic top link #2  
I believe the threaded rod top link is actually longer than you really need. So a hyd top link would raise the implement a certain amount, or push down a certain distance. Which mode is more critical to you, lifting or down pressure? Try adjusting the threaded rod and see what range you need for all your implements. Measure the distance the 3pt pulls back or lowers, and that should be close, unless you just want more.

/ BX25 hydraulic top link #3  
whats the check valve for and why can't the swivel eyes be used ?

/ BX25 hydraulic top link #4  
The check valve is so the cylinders do not leak down after setting to a set position. Swivel eyes are normally used. The ones on Surplus Hyd do not have the check valve. The check valve add to the cost of the cylinder. You could put an external check on then if necessary.

/ BX25 hydraulic top link #5  
Jeff, I think you'd be happier with the 14 to 18 HTL from CCM. I don't own a BX, but I did use a HTL on my tractor that was 2" longer than the OEM toplink and it would not let me set my scarifiers down on my boxblade. I think having the minimum dimension is much more important than the maximum. What I would do is to adjust your manual toplink to the 14" dimension and look at it. Then, adjust it to 18" and look at it again. If that fits your needs, go with the CCM.

For all kinds of reasons that have be hashed and rehashed here on TBN, I'd surely recommend the CCM toplink or the Surplus Center toplink with the DPOCVs. I've had both and would not have another toplink without the check valves. Also, use 1/4" hoses. You don't need a lot of flow for a HTL. The 1/4" hoses will be easy to route and manage.

/ BX25 hydraulic top link
Thank you all for your input. I am new to being a tractor owner. I am surprised that the after market accessories industry for tractors is not more accommodating.

If this were the 4x4 trucks, diesel trucks, motorcycles, antique cars hobby, etc, someone would surely capitalize on the chance to make an exact fit (14" to 22") part for a popular make (Kubota BX series).

/ BX25 hydraulic top link #7  
Here's the link I built. I bought the cylinder (2.5"x8"), pilot check valve & hoses from Surplus Center. The cylinder originally had clevis ends, I bought 2 weld-on swivel eye ends from Tractor Supply and cut them off by hand with a hacksaw. I was able to get the exact length I needed this way to fit my tractor's needs. Borrowed a friend's welder and installed the swivel ends. This rig has worked well for about 5 years for me so far and it has taken quite a bit of heavy work. I've got less than $180 in the whole thing, fittings and all.

For most of my uses, the ability to go shorter is more important than going longer, especially for the boxblade and bushog and transporting the finish mower. I used my boxblade as the guide when figuring the length I needed and it worked well for everything else. For my 2 bottom plow I have to use a very long top link and it's the only implement I can't use my cylinder with and have a dedicated mechanical link set for it.

Attachments

• DSCN1236.JPG
    DSCN1236.JPG
    638.8 KB · Views: 986
  • DSCN1218.JPG
    DSCN1218.JPG
    667.7 KB · Views: 4,495
  • DSCN1221.JPG
    DSCN1221.JPG
    634.5 KB · Views: 1,159
   / BX25 hydraulic top link #8  
I checked the surplus version- you are right, the one with a check valve looks like the right size, but it's too long for the BX. Surplus doesnt sell one seperately just like the one in the picture! SO my question is can you can the one from surplus center 1.5X8X1 DA HYD CYL SWIVEL EYES and add the small professional looking check valve from another site to it? it would be a better fit.

Attachments

• toplink.jpg
    toplink.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 530
   / BX25 hydraulic top link #9  
Yes. you could put a pilot operated check valve on the cylinder but they ain't cheap. You could also add a needle valve to close off the fluid at the set position.

/ BX25 hydraulic top link #10  
I added an HTL to my BX last Spring. I read various post here about the shorter lenght of the top link being more important than the fully extended length and decided to go with a SC swivel eye 13"-19" cylinder. This was the closest I could find to the stock 14"-22" top link. Unlike most, however, I wish I had gone longer, but this could be implement dependent. I have a relatively short, older Woods rear blade that when the 3PH is fully down, won't touch the ground unless the HTL is about 2/3rds extended. Similar for my rake, but not as bad. If I had a longer HTL, I could set both at a more aggressive angle. My el cheapo solution was to drill another set of holes in the lower 3PH links about 1.5" closer to the tractor. This allows the ends of the lower links to drop closer to the ground.

I don't think I would have been happy with the lenght of the CCM 14"-18" cylinder so I"m glad I didn't spend the extra for it.

I will say that my HTL with no check valves does leak down if I have an implement up off the ground for any lenght of time. Check valves would be nice, but for my uses, I couldn't justify the extra cost.

Good luck with your decision.

Oh, one other thing. If you get the SC swivel eye cylinder, watch out for the cylinder port nearer the tractor contacting your top link bracket. I mounted mine with the ports facing up and when I raised the hitch all the way up, the 90* elbow hit the top link bracket and got sheared right off. I now have the ports facing down to avoid this happening again.