Hydraulic Cylinder Seals

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Seals #1  

jgbanshee

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 310SE, JD 4300, JD 5210, JD 450 Crawler, CAT D3B, Ford 2N, Ford 5000 Ford 4000su, Ford 1100
I have to replace the seals in one of the lift cylinders on my JD loader. I think it is due to lack of use. I was using it the other day for the first time in a while and it started leaking. Would it be a good idea to replace BOTH lift cylinder seals at the same time?

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Seals #2  
I have to replace the seals in one of the lift cylinders on my JD loader. I think it is due to lack of use. I was using it the other day for the first time in a while and it started leaking. Would it be a good idea to replace BOTH lift cylinder seals at the same time?

Absolutely do them both. BTW, if the leakage is from lack of use, use it, get the oil good and warm, and the seals may swell back to size and seal. Anyhow, when you only do one cylinder, the other side may be leaking internally. Now, you have good power on one cylinder and less on the other. This will cause your loader arms to always twist. When you have cylinders that work in a pair, always do to one what you do to the other.

Andy

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Seals #3  
^^^^^^^^^^^^

What Andy said. Do them both at the same time.