3 point log splitter

/ 3 point log splitter #31  
My 3 point splitter that I built myself using a 4"x24" cylinder has a 10 second cycle time. Its quicker than I can keep up with.

I made my splitter come off the tractor long ways because I usually split with a buddy and this allows unlimited access to the splitters work area. I built the whole splitter for $450 and a case of Coors Light.;) I also made a shop press adapter as you can see in one picture. You simply pull the pin on he wedge and stand up the cylinder vertically, pull the wedge, install the press adapter, and reinstall the pin.

Chris

Attachments

• log splitter 002.jpg
    log splitter 002.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 474
  • log splitter 004.jpg
    log splitter 004.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 457
  • log splitter 005.jpg
    log splitter 005.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 445
  • logsplitter.jpg
    logsplitter.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 712
   / 3 point log splitter #32  
Chris and WilliamBos: It's certain from your posts that your system is surely different from mine. WilliamBos, how is using your FEL valve as far as speed? The reason I ask is that in another thread I also suggested to someone that they could use their FEL outlets instead of buying remotes. I just used my splitter yesterday to split about a rick of wood and found it to be plenty fast to keep up with me. Now all I need to do is find a way to quit dropping 1/2 rounds on my toes.:rolleyes::eek:

We are plumbed into the loader circuit, but use a splitter valve. We DO NOT have a loader.

Last edited:
   / 3 point log splitter #33  
Diamondpilot,

How many GPM are you sending to the log splitter, and is that a 4 in cyl, 2 in shaft?

/ 3 point log splitter #34  
I think my tractor is 7gpm. I run the tractor at about 1200 rpm. The rod is either 1.5" or 2", not sure. Got the cylinder at Rural King for $99.

Chris

/ 3 point log splitter #35  
I think my tractor is 7gpm. I run the tractor at about 1200 rpm. The rod is either 1.5" or 2", not sure. Got the cylinder at Rural King for $99.

Chris, I'm old and slow and my HF 3PH splitter has no trouble outrunning me. My tractor has about 9gpm available, but I don't think I'm getting that much at the remotes even though I have 1/2" hoses. I am not an experienced splitter and when that hard blackjack oak or postoak pops as the wedge enters, it scares me a bit. I don't think I want it going much faster than it does.

My splitter has a driven/moving table attached to the ram whereas yours and most others have a driven/moving wedge. As a big round approaches my wedge, I can't see it. Also if you have a splitter that rotates vertically as yours, you have to have the table on the bottom and the wedge attached as yours is. My splitter would never work vertically without having it about 24" off the ground, negating the vertical benefit.:(

Attachments

• Splitter-02.jpg
    Splitter-02.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 1,865
   / 3 point log splitter #36  
I had popping also till I sharpened my wedge. Do not use a grinder. The heat will ruin it. Use a file and take it slow. I could now cut a 4x4 sideways with the thing. Its as sharp as a buck knife and stays sharp with only a minor touch up each year after splitting about 10 ricks of wood.

Chris