single to double conversion

/ single to double conversion #1  

Arkwright

I have a vacuum machine for picking up horse manure in the field. The dung is collected in a 1 cubic metre hopper which can be dumped with the Stone electric pump and a single acting hydraulic cylinder. That works fine -- so long as the manure slides out! Sometimes it doesn't and there is no way the hopper will return to normal (horizontal) position unassisted. As the back door it now facing downwards, within about six inches of the ground, it is impossible to fork the material out. The solution is to put a hose pipe into the hopper and hope the wetted material will slide out in time!

I'd like to convert the dump using a double acting cylinder so the hopper can be up righted using the hydraulic pump. At least, then, it can be forked out manually or the manure loosened so it slides out.

Would it work if I use the exisiting single acting pump with a manual diverter valve and replace the single acting cylinder with a double acting cylinder? I think I would need to make some provision for the hydraulic fluid to drain back into the tank. Maybe through a modified filler cap? Is there anything else I should be aware of? I am new to hydraulics but it occurs to me that the system I want will be something on the lines of a hydraulic log splitter? I see that Stone also make double acting pumps, but I'm hoping I won't need one of those.

Incidentaly, the cylinder has one connection for the fluid and also a blanking plate at the other end of the cylinder. I had assumed this latter was a breather but there doesn't seem to be a hole in it. Is there any chance this could be modified to be double acting? Pump is illustrated below.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 447
   / single to double conversion #2  
   / single to double conversion #3  
Can you supply a model number of the pump/motor unit?

/ single to double conversion #4  
This won't help answer your question but. What is the purpose for picking up the manure in the field ?
All my years of growing up on the farm, we used to collect the manure from the barn and go purposly Spread it on the Field.

/ single to double conversion #5  
Sorry, I can't help you either, but I'll echo Marks question....I've seen the pull behind vaccums in ads but never could figure out why someone would buy one. Because I've got a breeding / training operation I usually have 25-30 horses on the place. Those that are showing go in the barn and their manure/bedding gets spread in the hay fields. The manure in the paddocks gets broken up with a chain drag before the paddock is rested. I considered collecting it for compost but that's more effort than I think it's worth. What do you do with it?

/ single to double conversion #6  
I know a guy who boards horses. He developed a forced air manure burner/furnace and uses it to heat the barn. It is outside unit with a big hopper that he loads with dry horse manure it will run unattended for several days controlled by thermostat the same way as gas furnace.

/ single to double conversion
This won't help answer your question but. What is the purpose for picking up the manure in the field ?
All my years of growing up on the farm, we used to collect the manure from the barn and go purposly Spread it on the Field.

I'll answer this one first!

I am in Scotland, UK. Worms can be a problem over here. The worm eggs are spread via the feces, hatch in damp warm weather, and the larvae can then reinfect horses. It is possible for infections to get so bad that the horse can become quite ill, even die in extreme cases. Probably not a problem in a dry climate or on a large acreage especially when cross grazing with other species. Harrowing in our climate is reckoned to spread worm eggs which can live up to 12 months in dung.

Control is by medication which is expensive. Picking up the dung removes the worm eggs at the same time. This is dumped in a heap which will heat up during decomposition killing the eggs. I am hoping to put the dung back on the fields as manure (also expensive these days) when it has rotted down and the eggs are dead. Removing the dung also helps the grass as grazing horses tend to avoid patches where they have defecated which are then taken over by weeds. Does that make sense?

Off to get serial numbers. This forum is great!

/ single to double conversion
The pump is a STONE Code UD2570, serial number 0109889, working pressure 130 bar.

The web page for this machine is here: Predator People the ultimate paddock vacuum cleaner - predator lynx

Even when empty, the hopper needs manual assistance to return it to horizontal. When full, but contents stuck, it needs considerable force to return to normal but only to pass the centre of gravity.

I like the idea of a second cylinder with a selector valve.

The existing cylinder has a connector near the base for input of the hydraulic fluid. There is a similar connector at the top of the cylinder, near the rod, with a blanking plug in it. This does not appear to be a breather as there is no hole in it. (Can't work out where the air goes!).

I did speak to the technical department of a hydraulics manufacturer and was told some cylinders are manufactured as double acting but only used as singles as it is cheaper to make one type. Is that possible or have I misunderstood?

If I replaced the existing single acting cylinder with a double acting, would I also need a two stage pump?

Thanks for your help.

/ single to double conversion #10  
The pump is a STONE Code UD2570, serial number 0109889, working pressure 130 bar.

The web page for this machine is here: Predator People the ultimate paddock vacuum cleaner - predator lynx

Even when empty, the hopper needs manual assistance to return it to horizontal. When full, but contents stuck, it needs considerable force to return to normal but only to pass the centre of gravity.

I like the idea of a second cylinder with a selector valve.

The existing cylinder has a connector near the base for input of the hydraulic fluid. There is a similar connector at the top of the cylinder, near the rod, with a blanking plug in it. This does not appear to be a breather as there is no hole in it. (Can't work out where the air goes!).

I did speak to the technical department of a hydraulics manufacturer and was told some cylinders are manufactured as double acting but only used as singles as it is cheaper to make one type. Is that possible or have I misunderstood?

If I replaced the existing single acting cylinder with a double acting, would I also need a two stage pump?

Thanks for your help.

I can't find any info on that pump setup:mad:

But from the webpage you linked it says:
Hydraulics:
12volt 3 inch slim line motor
125 bar pressure.​
Single stage 500mm stroke double acting ram.​

But you only have one hose to the cylinder?
Are they any unused ports on the pump housing?
Does the pump run when you are lowering the dump?

It is very possible to use the DA (dual acting) cylinder as a SA (single acting) and you may just be a DA cylinder-there is however "usually" a vent on the unused port rather than just a plug:confused:

Here is something to try-just a feeling I have-and it's free...Take the plug out of the cylinder and see if it dumps better. It is possible that since the port is plugged the piston is having to suck air past the seals causing the resistance you are feeling.