external pto pump help

/ external pto pump help #1  

aviationben

Tractor
bobcat ct230
I'm converting my hydraulic pump from another project to a pto pump for my log splitter, backhoe, etc.. I purchased a coupler from surplus center to adapt the 3/4 pump shaft to the pto splines, and made a temporary mount to hold the pump. The setup worked, but I noticed the pump was twisting on the mount. I removed the pump and inserted a straight 3/4 rod and it seems they didn't bore it correctly. YouTube - P1011771.MOV

Is there any other sources for this type of adapter. The adapter is shot now and I doubt the will refund it.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009112720531826&catname=&qty=1&item=1-2456

Attachments

• connected.jpg
    connected.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,426
  • coupler.jpg
    coupler.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,526
  • on tractor.jpg
    on tractor.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 14,717
   / external pto pump help #2  
I think you will get that slop just from the splines. Was the 3/4 side a good fit, and was it secured by a couple of set screws? The adapter is going to wobble some. Did you secure it from just hanging weight?

/ external pto pump help
yea, set screws were used. The splines are very tight, new tractor, new adapter. I supported the pump to the draw bar bracket. I also tried holding it by hand and it still wobbles too much..

/ external pto pump help #4  
If you intend to leave the pump on for long periods of time you might be better off mounting the pump rigidly to the tractor. CaseIH, JD and others do this all the time for large corn planter pumps. Remove the PTO shield and use the bosses it mounts with. For a coupler you can use a double chain set-up. Just make sure to put the guard back on when you remove the pump.

ISZ

Attachments

• pump.bmp
    109.3 KB · Views: 942
   / external pto pump help

Attachments

• pump mount.jpg
    pump mount.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 6,894
   / external pto pump help #6  
I'm converting my hydraulic pump from another project to a pto pump for my log splitter, backhoe, etc.. I purchased a coupler from surplus center to adapt the 3/4 pump shaft to the pto splines, and made a temporary mount to hold the pump. The setup worked, but I noticed the pump was twisting on the mount. I removed the pump and inserted a straight 3/4 rod and it seems they didn't bore it correctly. YouTube - P1011771.MOV

Is there any other sources for this type of adapter. The adapter is shot now and I doubt the will refund it.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009112720531826&catname=&qty=1&item=1-2456

I did exactly what you are doing, I mounted a pump, amost identical to yours to my PTO.

I used the surplus center quick attach coupler with the keyed round shaft to 6 spline.

I built a plate which I mounted my pump to, and then used the adapter to tie the pump to the PTO shaft.

I did not rigid mount my bracket as in the end my PTO shaft was not absolutely straight and had a tiny wabble to it, I actually replaced my PTO shaft to get it straighter but still not perfect.

I pinned my mounting plate to the bottom bracket on my three point which on my tractor was a plate with a hole in hit. I then bunggied (spelling) the pump to the tractor so that it would not walk off the spline and fall off the back of the tractor. (my PTO shaft did not have a ridge in it for the quick release adapter to click into, it if had, the bungies would not have been needed.

The key to a PTO pump to to stop if from spinning under load, that is about all you need to worry about. I've seen some use a chain to stop the spinning, You really do not need to support it, just stop it from spinning.

My set up ran a backhoe and I used it for years. The only problem I ran into was one time I let the set screws loosen up and the shaft spun, I replaced key and did not let the set screws loosen up after that.

Please feel free to PM if I can help. It is easy in the end and works great while saving tons of money over a PTO pump.

Joel

/ external pto pump help #7  
Picture of my pump mount.

Attachments

• Kubota Three.JPG
    Kubota Three.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 2,660
  • Kubota Four.JPG
    Kubota Four.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 617
  • Kubota One.JPG
    Kubota One.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 830
   / external pto pump help #8  
Hvae to agree with Joel mine has nothing to 'support' it, and wobles slightly. Its how it was set up from th dealer and I just never gave it much thought.
Just a bracket to keep it from spinning. I assumed thats how they were all set up to run. Its been15 years without a problem.

/ external pto pump help #9  
Great thread, I have been contemplating this very thing for a backhoe. You can pick up pumps like this on Ebay for a fraction of what a Prince PTO pump costs. I had never seen anyone convert one to adapt to a PTO. I knew it could be done but glad to see some actual applications before I dive in. Can you guys tell me what brand/models you are using?
Thanks for posting this.

/ external pto pump help
Thanks everyone. I was worried about not supporting the shaft rigid and maybe causing something else to go bad. I'll try and fab up another bracket to allow to pump to move slightly and find it own center.

The pump is a counter clockwise rotating gear pump. Surplus Center item 9-4849-k. 1.22 cu in made by hydreco, for $116.00. I've used it for about 8 years on my ford 8n's wagner loader. It has good power and volume at low rpms.