Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial

/ Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial #11  
As a newbie, thanks for the tutorial, KennyD.

Great looking Case, MtnViewRanch. You've obviously got a lot of work into it.

/ Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial #12  
I use these as a quick fix for blown hoses at work. I carry 1/4" through 1" male and female JIC on my service truck. If a mixer blows a hose on the job and it is a long hose that is hard to replace in the field I will cut the hose in half at the bad spot and install a male JIC on one side and a female JIC on the other to make a splice. When I get the truck back to the shop I replace the hose. I take the fittings off the repaired hose and put them back in the truck for the next time. The only time I have seen these fail is when the outer casing of the hose is old and dry rotted. Make sure you get the right fittings for the type hose you have. Different types of hoses have different outside diameters.
Bill

/ Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial
Not trying to be a smart guy here, just want it to be right when some noobie searches. Once the fitting has been removed, the hose should have the end cut off before a fitting is installed again.

I completely re-plumbed my Case 310 dozer with these fittings. Trust me, the larger fittings are not cheap. :eek:

Thanks for posting your project and experience with these fittings. I knew I was not a pioneer with these-I just wanted to dedicate a post to them since there was not one.

/ Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial #15  
One of the best things about building your own hoses is that you can get them exactly how you want-need them to be. You know, like a 90 at both ends, but not in line. One end is turned a little so that the ends are connected without the hose being in a twist-bind. Does that make sense?

/ Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial #16  
Kenny, thank you for sharing this with everyone and thanks for mentioning Discount Hydraulic Hose as well!

Your tutorial was very thorough and accurate. To confirm what someone else said, the fittings are re-usable, but you should always cut an inch or two off your hose before using them again on the same piece of hose.

As others have noted, reusable (or field-attachable) fittings aren't cheap, but they certainly do fill a need. We have lots of customers, especially truckers who are usually miles and miles away from home when a hose blows, who keep a few of these fittings in their toolbox for emergency repairs.

Thanks again, Kenny. I really enjoyed reading this, and I may even point people here to this thread the next time I get questions on installing these fittings.

Kenny, thank you for sharing this with everyone and thanks for mentioning Discount Hydraulic Hose as well!

Your tutorial was very thorough and accurate. To confirm what someone else said, the fittings are re-usable, but you should always cut an inch or two off your hose before using them again on the same piece of hose.

As others have noted, reusable (or field-attachable) fittings aren't cheap, but they certainly do fill a need. We have lots of customers, especially truckers who are usually miles and miles away from home when a hose blows, who keep a few of these fittings in their toolbox for emergency repairs.

Thanks again, Kenny. I really enjoyed reading this, and I may even point people here to this thread the next time I get questions on installing these fittings.

Thanks HHG.

/ Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial #18  
A question for those who own these fittings. Are they Longer than the crimp version? I ask because my tractor was designed around a particular (shorter) type of connector. In certain spots it is not possible to hook up hoses with the longer connector.

Also, what I am hearing here is that these connectors are much more expensive than crimp? So if it is just an occassional hose it probably makes more sense to get it made than have these items hanging around?

/ Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial #19  
Carl, the primary purpose of the reusable fittings is so an operator can repair a hose assembly while in the field away from a hydraulic shop. Also when you are experimenting with a hyd system and you need a hose with specific fittings on it, right now. They certainly do cost more, but are reusable.

A question for those who own these fittings. Are they Longer than the crimp version? I ask because my tractor was designed around a particular (shorter) type of connector. In certain spots it is not possible to hook up hoses with the longer connector.

Here is picture of the reusable and a crimped connector. Be aware that there are many makers of crimped ends so the difference may be more or less than this. This is about 1/4" longer. The actual overall length measurement of the reusable from tip-to-toe is 2.395"
DSC08961.JPG

Also, what I am hearing here is that these connectors are much more expensive than crimp? So if it is just an occassional hose it probably makes more sense to get it made than have these items hanging around?
Some ends are more expensive, but the hose is a lot cheaper-plus no labor cost. And you get the exact length hose you want for a perfect fit. Hard to nail down an exact cost savings, but I think there is some.

Last edited: