Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial

/ Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial #1  

kennyd

Advertiser
Tractor
John Deere 3720 CAB/TLB, JD455
I have two upcoming projects that will require a lot of custom length hoses, so I though it would be a good time to give these a fair trial. I have always had hoses made locally at a fair price and in a timely manner, but I was always curious about these.

All parts (hoses and Fittings) where purchased from Discount Hydraulic Hose. I only needed the 1/4" hose and fittings for this project, but all the sizes are assemble the same way.

This is 30' of 1/4" SAE 100R2AT 2-Wire 5000psi hydraulic hose
DSC08941.JPG

i6pvoZXdu9K2yTm3_wjENQ
Here are two types of fittings, 1/4" NPT on the left, and a -6 JIC on the right.
DSC08942.JPG

Better view. 1/4" NPT on the left and -6 JIC on the right.
DSC08943.JPG

Here they are with the inner stems removed from the outside collar.
DSC08944.JPG

A die grinder with a cutoff wheel makes easy work of cutting the hose cleanly.
DSC08946.JPG

Here is the cut hose, a straight clean cut is important.
DSC08947.JPG

The outside collar is threaded onto the hose. These are left-hand threads.
DSC08951.JPG

Turn it till the inside bottoms out on the hose.
DSC08950.JPG

Now, mark the hose/collar, and back off the collar 1/2 turn or so to create a gap inside the fitting for the hose to expand into. This is a VERY IMPORTANT step. Failure to do this will cause the stem to break (Don't ask how I know!)
DSC08956.JPG

Hold the collar in a vise, lube the stem and inside the hose with some hydraulic oil and start turning the stem in. This was the hardest part-pushing and turning till the threads engaged. If it starts to get real tight, remove the stem, re-lube and try again.
DSC08957.JPG

Here is the completed fitting. The stem should NOT be tightened to the collar-but rather a small gap left.
DSC08958.JPG

After assembling the hose, be sure to flush it with a solvent (like mineral spirits) and compressed air to clean it out. You don't want the crap from cutting the hose in your hydraulic system.

So, that is it. I hope this will help someone in the future...

/ Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial #2  
Great tutorial I appreciate the thread. I have wondered about how well these work. Have you used them before? I thought they would be a better option overall more economical overall and the ability to use and all. I thought maybe they may have a problem with leaking.

/ Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial #3  
Kenny,

Do you think this is a one time use of the screw on fittings, or can you screw the fitting back into the same hose. Would you have to use a fresh piece of hose every time you made up one of these units?

/ Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial #4  
I have used these fittings before to, on much larger hoses. They work really well never had seen one fail. And yes they are re-usable.

/ Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial
Great tutorial I appreciate the thread. I have wondered about how well these work. Have you used them before? I thought they would be a better option overall more economical overall and the ability to use and all. I thought maybe they may have a problem with leaking.

This will be my first time using them, but a few others here have and reported great results. There has just never been a dedicated post on how to install them so I thought I would do it.

With how tight they go together, I can't imagine them leaking.

/ Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial
Kenny,

Do you think this is a one time use of the screw on fittings, or can you screw the fitting back into the same hose. Would you have to use a fresh piece of hose every time you made up one of these units?

The fitting itself is definitely reusable...I would guess they would want it screwed into fresh hose each time rather than where one was already but not 100% sure, there is very little info available about these.

/ Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial #9  
Thanks Andy...I was waiting for you to beat me down for using them!:D

I don't know, maybe they kinda grew on me. I have seen these on very old hoses so they definately work. If I didn't own a $5,000 hose crimper and over $100,000 in stock, I would use them too.

Manufacturers now call them "field attachable" for liability reasons but they are probably reusable until you wear them out. I can check my Weatherhead catalog, but I wouldn't use them on the same piece of hose twice. Maybe you can, I don't know.

Just a note for everyone else, they make different reusables for different hose types. (The SAE 100R #) Please, do not mix them up.

/ Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial #10  
Not trying to be a smart guy here, just want it to be right when some noobie searches. Once the fitting has been removed, the hose should have the end cut off before a fitting is installed again.

I completely re-plumbed my Case 310 dozer with these fittings. Trust me, the larger fittings are not cheap. :eek:

Attachments

• P2210002.JPG
    P2210002.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 845
  • P2210006.JPG
    P2210006.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 868
  • P2210008.JPG
    P2210008.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 913
  • P2210009.JPG
    P2210009.JPG