anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ?

/ anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ? #1  

peabody

Bronze Member
hello, im thinking of putting on a cylinder and replace the top link,

for my 6 foot blade, maybe give a little down pressure ?

make the blade cutt a little better ? dunno ? u guys the experts.

peabody

/ anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ? #2  
Hi Peabody.

Do a search for 'top and tilt, top-n-tilt' and you'll find lots of threads on guys who have added them to their tractors. I added one this year to mine and I wish I'd done it years ago.

/ anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ? #3  
maybe give a little down pressure ? make the blade cutt a little better ?

It will make cutting angle adjustments on the RB fast and easy, BUT you will NOT get down pressure! The lift arms will just lift up. The 3pt hitch, on all but a very few tractors, uses only a one way cylinder and therefore you cannot get down pressure, except through weight.

If all that you are trying to gain is better cutting, then a method to hang weights on the RB will produce better results. You could make a rack for suitcase weights like normally hang on the front bumper, or a bar for free weights from a barbell set, or a tray for concrete blocks.

The ability to angle the cutting edge will help, but not as much as adding weight to the blade.

Mike

/ anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ? #4  
Hi Peabody.

Do a search for 'top and tilt, top-n-tilt' and you'll find lots of threads on guys who have added them to their tractors. I added one this year to mine and I wish I'd done it years ago.

Yup, Lots of people have done this...I am doing one on my machine now.

Other search terms are:
HTL
CCM
DOPCV
TnT

/ anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ? #5  
I have both top and angle cylinders on my old Ford 4600SU but I use a box blade and it makes it 1000 times better. By tilting back and forth with the hyd toplink you can vary the degree you wish to have the front blade dig in or lift slightly to feather gravel under the front blade and have the back blade smooth it. Angling it the opposite direction and backing up you can do the same thing so you're working in both directions. Tilting a boxblade down a bit going backwards you'll be amazed, it's like having a lil dozer. Having those adjustments makes a boxblade into a precision attachment over having something that just drags along behind you that you have to get off to tilt and angle. If you are going to do the top, spend the extra money and do both and you'll wish you had done it long ago.

Topstrap

/ anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ? #6  
I have 5 hydraulic top link cylinders. From 56 -225 hp tractors. Cat 1, 2 and 3N. All used with quick hitches.

/ anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ? #7  
Working on one. Since the pictures I have added all the fittings to the valve, and two days ago ordered a cylinder and more fittings from Surplus Center. (They are down online for a few days as they upgrade their website).

When I am done (soon after Christmas) I will post more pictures. Eventually I will add a tilt also.

Attachments

• 20091031 005.jpg
    20091031 005.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 336
  • 20091031 007.jpg
    20091031 007.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 247
  • 20091031 008.jpg
    20091031 008.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 256
  • 20091031 013.jpg
    20091031 013.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 273
   / anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ? #8  
I installed one about a year ago and it's about the fifth greatest thing since sliced bread. I bought mine from Dalton Hydraulics.

/ anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ? #9  
   / anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ? #10