Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member

Default anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ?

hello, im thinking of putting on a cylinder and replace the top link,

for my 6 foot blade, maybe give a little down pressure ?

make the blade cutt a little better ? dunno ? u guys the experts.

peabody

Tractor
    A couple

Default Re: anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ?

Hi Peabody.

Do a search for 'top and tilt, top-n-tilt' and you'll find lots of threads on guys who have added them to their tractors. I added one this year to mine and I wish I'd done it years ago.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Tractor
    YM 1510-D

maybe give a little down pressure ? make the blade cutt a little better ?
    It will make cutting angle adjustments on the RB fast and easy, BUT you will NOT get down pressure! The lift arms will just lift up. The 3pt hitch, on all but a very few tractors, uses only a one way cylinder and therefore you cannot get down pressure, except through weight.

If all that you are trying to gain is better cutting, then a method to hang weights on the RB will produce better results. You could make a rack for suitcase weights like normally hang on the front bumper, or a bar for free weights from a barbell set, or a tray for concrete blocks.

The ability to angle the cutting edge will help, but not as much as adding weight to the blade.

Mike
    "In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." Solomon
    YM1510D, YM 1202 tiller, The following home made tools: Quick Hitch, KK copy dirt scoop, imitation Gannon rollover box blade, Forks on 3pt, a Rear Blade with gauge wheels and a 1.5 yd dump trailer.

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455AWS

Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Hi Peabody.

Do a search for 'top and tilt, top-n-tilt' and you'll find lots of threads on guys who have added them to their tractors. I added one this year to mine and I wish I'd done it years ago.
    Yup, Lots of people have done this...I am doing one on my machine now.

Other search terms are:
    HTL
    CCM
    DOPCV
    TnT
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

#BoltOnHooks

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain and Rigging Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components, and MUCH more!

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Bronze Member

I have both top and angle cylinders on my old Ford 4600SU but I use a box blade and it makes it 1000 times better. By tilting back and forth with the hyd toplink you can vary the degree you wish to have the front blade dig in or lift slightly to feather gravel under the front blade and have the back blade smooth it. Angling it the opposite direction and backing up you can do the same thing so you're working in both directions. Tilting a boxblade down a bit going backwards you'll be amazed, it's like having a lil dozer. Having those adjustments makes a boxblade into a precision attachment over having something that just drags along behind you that you have to get off to tilt and angle. If you are going to do the top, spend the extra money and do both and you'll wish you had done it long ago.

Topstrap

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806

I have 5 hydraulic top link cylinders. From 56 -225 hp tractors. Cat 1, 2 and 3N. All used with quick hitches.

Tractor
    '06 John Deere 3320

Working on one. Since the pictures I have added all the fittings to the valve, and two days ago ordered a cylinder and more fittings from Surplus Center. (They are down online for a few days as they upgrade their website).

When I am done (soon after Christmas) I will post more pictures. Eventually I will add a tilt also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ?-20091031-005-jpg   anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ?-20091031-007-jpg   anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ?-20091031-008-jpg   anyone use a cylinder for a top-link ?-20091031-013-jpg  
    '06 John Deere 3320

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Case DX35

I installed one about a year ago and it's about the fifth greatest thing since sliced bread. I bought mine from Dalton Hydraulics.

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

[QUOTE=peabody;1825803]hello, im thinking of putting on a cylinder and replace the top link,

for my 6 foot blade, maybe give a little down pressure ?

make the blade cutt a little better ? dunno ? u guys the experts.

Are you talking about just any cyl tha will fit, or a cylinder made just for the top link? Some even have check/lock valves, that is a good idea. Like this.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...name=hydraulic
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Veteran Member
    Approved Advertiser
    Tractor
    JD 2040,2240, 2355, 2755, 4055

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast