Massey Ferg 2135 single stage pump or closed centered system?

/ Massey Ferg 2135 single stage pump or closed centered system? #1  

Tim Dawson

I have a 2135 massey industrial and am adding a hydraulic backhoe thumb log splitter and front bucket thumbs. I want to know if the hydraulic pump is 2 stage and the system is considered closed center. I have a few valves, but don't know which would be the proper one to use. Any information would be helpful. Thanks!:confused:

/ Massey Ferg 2135 single stage pump or closed centered system? #2  
Welcome to TBN Tim:D

I can almost assure you it is NOT a 2-stage pump, but it is very common to have multiple pumps on tractors.

Based on THIS page that I searched for, I am going to guess it is a Open Center system because one of the specs for the hydraulics list them as having "power beyond", and CC systems don't use that.

/ Massey Ferg 2135 single stage pump or closed centered system?
Thanks!
I was not sure. The original brochure listed power bryound and a 17 gpm pump. I am trying to find the best control valve to run a log splitter on the rear where the backhoe bucket goes. Looks like a MODEL LSR-3060 RAPID EXTEND LOG SPLITTER VALVE might be able to be used to try and speed thing up. I was also considering pressurizing both sides of the cylinder to increace the cycle times. Looks like I should try one of the open center valves I have. I thought the power beyond had to be closed somewhere when you tap into a system after a valve. I ordered a power beyond plug for a price valve and I think it blocks of the open center return?

I really appreciate your help and any info you can help me with. The tractor flows 17GPM at 2K and I want to get the max cycle times out of this as possible.

/ Massey Ferg 2135 single stage pump or closed centered system? #4  
The power beyond plug in a does not "block" anything. It just directs all the unused oil to the PB port so that it is carried downstream to the next valve in the series. The "used" oil from the work ports is the only thing directed to the OUT port. You will need 3 hoses for this setup.

The problem with using the VALVE you referenced is that the specs say max 4 GPM...you have 17. I regular LS valve is all you need-and is cheap at about $70 or so.

Thanks! I was wondering about that since the spec says it can extend flows flows of up to up to 25 GPM with only 4 GPM inlet flow. That is how I came across an article about how to apply pressure to both sides of a cylinder to try to get it to act like a cylinder the size of the shaft diameter. I'll just use a standard valve since I have a couple. The article on speeding up the cylinder is quoted below and I might give it a try also.
"There's a little-known trick that involves adding a 3-way valve (which actually means a 3-port, 2-position valve). It only speeds up the forward stroke, and reduces the splitting force proportionately.

Your extra valve has a "common" port that connects to one or the other of the ports, depending on which way the control leaver is set. The common port is connected to the ROD end of the cylinder.

One of the remaining valve ports is connected to the line that used to go directly to the rod end (call this position 1). The other port is Tee'd into the line feeding the BASE end of the cylinder (call this position 2).

When your auxiliary valve is set to position one, the cylinder operates normally under both the forward and backward strokes.

When the auxiliary valve is set to position two, the cylinder will operate only on the forward stroke. Pressure will be supplied to BOTH ends of the cylinder simultaneously. This seems counter-intuitive, since the cylinder will appear to be fighting itself. However one side exerts less force (because the rod occupies part of the surface area) so the cylinder extends. At the same time, the fluid forced out of the rod end circulates back to the base end, increasing the rate at which the cylinder moves.

Thanks again!

/ Massey Ferg 2135 single stage pump or closed centered system? #6  
Awesome. Your help is greatly appreciated. I was really worried about cycle times because I have hear of others who used 3 pt splitters and they did not seem very fast. The 8-11 second calculations look like what I wanted.
Greatly appreciated.