Hydrolic valve on my new log splitter?

/ Hydrolic valve on my new log splitter? #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
Just purchased a used 3 pt. log splitter. The lever on it works the cylinder foreward and backward. You must continue to hold the lever foreward or rearward for the cylinder to move (take your hand off the lever and the cylinder stops). I understand this is a safety mechanism, but it would sure be nice to be able to have the cylinder closing back up while Im getting another log to load onto the splitter. In other words, I would like to be able to push up on the handle then take my hand off and have the cylinder close, thus moving the ram away from the wedge and allowing an opening for another log. Is this possible, if so, what changes need to be made to my valves and or handle? thanks

/ Hydrolic valve on my new log splitter? #2  
You need a valve with a return detent. Most have them. Try moving it a little further, it may have a lock that you have to bump it into.

My valve in my splitter I made is a Energy. Try getting any info you can off your valve and look it up on the net to see what features it has.

Chris

/ Hydrolic valve on my new log splitter? #4  
Pharmvet, notice that the valve JJ linked to has a detent release pressure of 1100 psi. This is very important. You could bungee or mechanically latch your valve lever into the return position, but it would not release when it returned fully and it would put your hydraulics into pressure relief. It's important to have a valve that will return itself to center when it senses that the ram is fully retracted. Your valve may have this detent and detent release, but it may be worn or in need of repair.

/ Hydrolic valve on my new log splitter? #5  
What Brand-Model# is your valve??....some valves can be rebuilt with parts!