JD Log Splitter SAGA Continues !!!

/ JD Log Splitter SAGA Continues !!! #1  

Thom2

Tractor
JD 2355
Well here I am again and the Log Splitter still hates me.

To refresh your memory.
I have my log splitter hooked to the remotes on my JD 65 hp Tractor. I pull the SVC lever to the rear to create the flow to the splitter.

(1) I have installed a New Cylinder.
Heavy-duty Double Acting Cylinder, 24 Stroke x 4 in. dia. - 1837573 | Tractor Supply Company

(2) Installed a New Control Valve

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2252122610015452&catname=hydraulic&qty=1&item=9-6765

(3) I placed a Pressure Gauge inline between the hose from the remote quick connect and the INPUT to the Control Valve.

NOW! Here what's happening.

When I move the Control Valve to move the cylinder rod forward, it moves approx. 1 inch per second. The pressure gauge shows ZERO.

When I move the Control Valve to move the cylinder rod back to the retracted position, it moves NORMALLY.

If I hold pressure on the Control Valve lever when the rod has returned, the pressure will go to 2200 psi.

I then move the Control Valve lever to move the cylinder rod forward, and it repeats the extremely slow speed. Also the feed hose from my tractor pulsates as if the flow is being interrupted.

Note: I have a Front-end Loader on the tractor, it operates fine. The 3 point lift is fine as well.

I just want to split some firewood. HELP!!!

/ JD Log Splitter SAGA Continues !!! #2  
Re: JD Log Splitter **** Again!!

Well here I am again in "Log Splitter ****".

To refresh your memory.
I have my log splitter hooked to the remotes on my JD 65 hp Tractor. I pull the SVC lever to the rear to create the flow to the splitter.

(1) I have installed a New Cylinder.
Heavy-duty Double Acting Cylinder, 24 Stroke x 4 in. dia. - 1837573 | Tractor Supply Company
Rated 2500psi....I would choose a 3000psi rated for logsplitters at Surpluscenter
Detent kit available!
(3) I placed a Pressure Gauge inline between the hose from the remote quick connect and the INPUT to the Control Valve.
Ok!
NOW Here what's happening.

When I move the Control Valve to move the cylinder rod forward, it moves approx. 1 inch per second. The pressure gauge shows ZERO.
0-3000psi or 0-5000psi gauge?
When I move the Control Valve to move the cylinder rod back to the retracted position, it moves NORMALLY.
Do extend till cyl stalls and hold for a few sec's. It should build pressure now. Air needs to be pushed (bleeded out)
If I hold pressure on the Control Valve lever when the rod has returned, the pressure will go to 2200 psi.
Then 2200psi is obviously the manufacturer setting on the RV
I then move the Control Valve lever to move the cylinder rod forward, and it repeats the extremely slow speed. Also the feed hose from my tractor pulsates as if the flow is being interrupted.
Do extend till cyl stalls and hold for a few sec's. It should build pressure now. Air needs to be pushed (bleeded out)
Note: I have a Front-end Loader on the tractor, it operates fine. The 3 point lift is fine as well.
Thats natural in this cae....your logsplitter is power beyond down stream
I just want to split some firewood. HELP!!!

Just repeat extend to till cyl stalls, and also retract till cyl stalls...for a few cycles....
Try that and then we'll see what next if needed

/ JD Log Splitter SAGA Continues !!! #3  
Are you using the 'curl' circuit of your SVC ?, try the 'lift' circuit instead.

/ JD Log Splitter SAGA Continues !!! #4  
Are you sure you have the hoses connected correctly? That is the input hose hooked to the output side of the log splitter valve, ect???? You may need to just push your remote handle forward instead of backwards.

Also, JD has to be difficult and use a different type of QC. Are you sure you have the right ones on your splitter hoses? Also has this splitter ever worked correctly on this tractor?

Chris

/ JD Log Splitter SAGA Continues !!!
Chris,

The supply line from the tractor is going to 3/4" inlet marked IN on the Control valve.
I tried moving the remote handle forward and nothing happens at all.

I been using the splitter on this JD tractor for 15 years. You've suggested things on my previous post about this problem when I found the cylinder was bad. Or was it?

Tomorrow I'm going to hook up my hydraulic scraper blade which has 2 cylinders ( Tilt & Swing) to check the remotes.

/ JD Log Splitter SAGA Continues !!! #6  
I read an article about mismatch with poppet and ball type QD's a while back. If you are using QD's, check and see if both the male and female QD have the same center, such as a ball to ball, or a poppet to poppet. Try to avoid poppet to ball. One of those has better flow characteristics. I think the poppet is the better one out of the two.

I think your input hose is hooked up to the out port on the valve. Plug the gage into the QD directly. check both lines.

/ JD Log Splitter SAGA Continues !!!
J_J,

The QC are AG ball type. The same that I use on all my equipment.

This problem really has me stumped. It's 14 degrees and I'm running out of firewood

Attachments

• QC_Set.jpg
    QC_Set.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 124
   / JD Log Splitter SAGA Continues !!! #8  
I see that new valve has load checks (which are not needed for a log splitter application, but shouldn't cause problems). I wonder if something is afoul there; especially if the new valve and cylinder isn't bled out yet. Good flow/speed in one direction says the connection to the tractor is probably OK.

/ JD Log Splitter SAGA Continues !!! #9  
J_J,

The QC are AG ball type. The same that I use on all my equipment.

This problem really has me stumped. It's 14 degrees and I'm running out of firewood

How did you determine the hyd cyl was bad. Did you put a known good 2500 psi to it in both directions? A test gage would be invaluable here.

/ JD Log Splitter SAGA Continues !!! #10  
RickB

Just about all valves have load checks. They are to prevent any movement of the load when shifting the spools in an out of neutral. That is not to say that they can not fail.