Hydraulic log splitter pump

/ Hydraulic log splitter pump #1  

woodsman12

If I increase the hydraulic pump on my log splitter from a 16 gpm to a 28 gpm and use a 18 hp twin cylinder onan gas engine instead of a 12 hp gas engine will this engine be able to handle it if not what size pump will I need. Thanks woodsman12

/ Hydraulic log splitter pump #2  
According to the formula you should use about a 32 hp engine to drive a 22 gpm pump set at 2500 #

HORSEPOWER INPUT = FLOW RATE OUTPUT(GPM) x PRESSURE(PSIG) divided by: 1714 x EFFICIENCY(Overall)

22 x 2500 =55,000 divided by 1714 = 32.9 HP.
I checked a chart that I found online and it confirmed this horsepower requirements.

/ Hydraulic log splitter pump #3  
What size is your tank and hoses? They may not be up to the higher GPM either.

/ Hydraulic log splitter pump #4  
According to the formula you should use about a 32 hp engine to drive a 22 gpm pump set at 2500 #

HORSEPOWER INPUT = FLOW RATE OUTPUT(GPM) x PRESSURE(PSIG) divided by: 1714 x EFFICIENCY(Overall)

22 x 2500 =55,000 divided by 1714 = 32.9 HP.
I checked a chart that I found online and it confirmed this horsepower requirements.

Thats right if you run max power (22x2500/1714) constantly....
But this si supposed to be a two stage pump and high flow will be at about 650PSI......and low speed at 12500psi 5,5 GPM_?? whatever....
so we wont need more than 22x650/1714 or 5.5x2500/1714...

15hp should be good enough

I also think splitting logs has a very special pressure cycle most of the time....
Logs crack upp afteran inch or two of wedge penetration, and thats during about a second....that will not be enough time to "kill" the engine if it is a little "under powered"......

Se that Super Spliiter that is powered with a 5hp?? and split with a fly wheel inertia...

/ Hydraulic log splitter pump #5  
   / Hydraulic log splitter pump #6  
I also think splitting logs has a very special pressure cycle most of the time....
Logs crack upp afteran inch or two of wedge penetration, and thats during about a second....that will not be enough time to "kill" the engine if it is a little "under powered"......

Se that Super Spliiter that is powered with a 5hp?? and split with a fly wheel inertia...

When you have a round that is like this many times the splitter 'cuts' it's way through the whole length of the wood. Rounds like this do not "split"! We have come across a few chunks that take a lot of repositioning before the wood will split even with the 30 ton setup I have.

bigchunk.jpg

/ Hydraulic log splitter pump #7  
When you have a round that is like this many times the splitter 'cuts' it's way through the whole length of the wood. Rounds like this do not "split"! We have come across a few chunks that take a lot of repositioning before the wood will split even with the 30 ton setup I have.

Jim, from your picture, I think you are missing a great excuse/chance to have some fun with explosives.;):D

/ Hydraulic log splitter pump #8  

bigchunk.jpg

Well, now you got extreme!!:eek:

Nice log lift dude!!;)

/ Hydraulic log splitter pump #9  
I don't want to dispute Suz, but I'm not sure you need that many horses for a 22 GPM 3000 PSI pump. More like 13 HP will be just fine. Check out some of the commercial splitters made by Rayco, Timberwolf etc and they all use 13 HP engines with 22 GPM 3000 PSI pumps. Also, the splitter I just put together seems to do well with 13 HP and that pump.

Wayne

Attachments

• Splitter in action.jpg
    Splitter in action.jpg
    730.6 KB · Views: 2,212
   / Hydraulic log splitter pump #10  
Hi Wayne,
I'm not arguing about the engine size needed. When I posted my forumla for the engine size didn't think it through very well. I only have a 13 hp on our splitter and it very seldom kicks the governor in even to split this big stuff.

IMHO the only time you need a big engine is if a single stage pump is being used.

BTW, nice splitter.