Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Hydraulic log splitter pump

If I increase the hydraulic pump on my log splitter from a 16 gpm to a 28 gpm and use a 18 hp twin cylinder onan gas engine instead of a 12 hp gas engine will this engine be able to handle it if not what size pump will I need. Thanks woodsman12

Tractor
    Ford Fergerson 9N (1939)

Default Re: Hydraulic log splitter pump

According to the formula you should use about a 32 hp engine to drive a 22 gpm pump set at 2500 #

HORSEPOWER INPUT = FLOW RATE OUTPUT(GPM) x PRESSURE(PSIG) divided by: 1714 x EFFICIENCY(Overall)

22 x 2500 =55,000 divided by 1714 = 32.9 HP.
    I checked a chart that I found online and it confirmed this horsepower requirements.
    Jim

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455AWS

What size is your tank and hoses? They may not be up to the higher GPM either.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

#BoltOnHooks

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain and Rigging Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components, and MUCH more!

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    According to the formula you should use about a 32 hp engine to drive a 22 gpm pump set at 2500 #

HORSEPOWER INPUT = FLOW RATE OUTPUT(GPM) x PRESSURE(PSIG) divided by: 1714 x EFFICIENCY(Overall)

22 x 2500 =55,000 divided by 1714 = 32.9 HP.
    I checked a chart that I found online and it confirmed this horsepower requirements.
    Thats right if you run max power (22x2500/1714) constantly....
    But this si supposed to be a two stage pump and high flow will be at about 650PSI......and low speed at 12500psi 5,5 GPM_?? whatever....
    so we wont need more than 22x650/1714 or 5.5x2500/1714...

15hp should be good enough

I also think splitting logs has a very special pressure cycle most of the time....
    Logs crack upp afteran inch or two of wedge penetration, and thats during about a second....that will not be enough time to "kill" the engine if it is a little "under powered"......

Se that Super Spliiter that is powered with a 5hp?? and split with a fly wheel inertia...

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

The 18 will run it just fine. If that is a two stage pump and the GPM's look about right, then you only need a 16, but if that is all you have, use it. Most log splitter valves are 25 GPM, So if you think the valve might not be able to handle it, just decrease the engine rpm.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...name=hydraulic

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...name=hydraulic
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Tractor
    Ford Fergerson 9N (1939)

Quote Originally Posted by AKKAMAAN View Post
    I also think splitting logs has a very special pressure cycle most of the time....
    Logs crack upp afteran inch or two of wedge penetration, and thats during about a second....that will not be enough time to "kill" the engine if it is a little "under powered"......

Se that Super Spliiter that is powered with a 5hp?? and split with a fly wheel inertia...
    When you have a round that is like this many times the splitter 'cuts' it's way through the whole length of the wood. Rounds like this do not "split"! We have come across a few chunks that take a lot of repositioning before the wood will split even with the 30 ton setup I have.

Jim

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

When you have a round that is like this many times the splitter 'cuts' it's way through the whole length of the wood. Rounds like this do not "split"! We have come across a few chunks that take a lot of repositioning before the wood will split even with the 30 ton setup I have.
    Jim, from your picture, I think you are missing a great excuse/chance to have some fun with explosives.
    Jim

Veteran Member

Well, now you got extreme!!

Nice log lift dude!!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4400, '48 B and 318

I don't want to dispute Suz, but I'm not sure you need that many horses for a 22 GPM 3000 PSI pump. More like 13 HP will be just fine. Check out some of the commercial splitters made by Rayco, Timberwolf etc and they all use 13 HP engines with 22 GPM 3000 PSI pumps. Also, the splitter I just put together seems to do well with 13 HP and that pump.

Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hydraulic log splitter pump-splitter-action-jpg  

Tractor
    Ford Fergerson 9N (1939)

Hi Wayne,
    I'm not arguing about the engine size needed. When I posted my forumla for the engine size didn't think it through very well. I only have a 13 hp on our splitter and it very seldom kicks the governor in even to split this big stuff.

IMHO the only time you need a big engine is if a single stage pump is being used.

BTW, nice splitter.
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast