Hydraulic Fluid

/ Hydraulic Fluid #11  
Do you have napa's, or other car parts stores in your area? Napa carries universal transdraulic fluid or torque fluid 56 (fina), which is cheap and works.... might even be jd303 spec. Farm supply stores usually carry that in bulk as well. Our mechanic here at the construcion company I work for uses a 10wt oil toi flush the tranny or hydraulics. ( Heck.. some of our older cat and JD heavy equipment use 10wt oild for the hydraulics , and some use sae 30 for the transmission... makes you wonder ).

As for the hyguard fluid from JD.. that 28 bucks is about what they charge here in central florida as well.... we just did the hydraulic servic our 2240.. held 8 gallos or so.

Chris

<font color=blue>"I'm not sure about your parts of the country, but out here in Southern Cal, Walmarts don't carry hydraulic fluid. I live in a predominately metropolitan area. The only place I have found it is at tractor dealers and the going price appears to be in the range of $28 for a five gal pail. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and spend a few bucks on fluid."

/ Hydraulic Fluid
I checked with the local Napa and the only thing they carry is plain hydraulic fluid that is used in hydraulic jacks. They did not know what universal transdraulic fluid or torque fluid 56 was. If the plain hydraulic fluid isn't right then I will use the cheap transmission fluid approach. Does it matter what type of transmission fluid?

/ Hydraulic Fluid #13  
You gotta be kidding me.... there company sells it under their own brand name ( napa ) and they don't even know about it.
( Universal transdraulic fluid )!

Call them again, and tell them to look up napa part # 85475.. that is the number for the 5gallon pail of the stuff. I'm not certain.. but probably meets jd303 spec, check it.

It really burns me when business don't even know their own stock. I know for a fact that other companies like Office Depot make it a practice to quiz their employees on what materials were carried by that company.

Soundguy

<font color=blue>I checked with the local Napa and the only thing they carry is plain hydraulic fluid that is used in hydraulic

/ Hydraulic Fluid #14  
It doesn't matter what type. Transmission fluid is just light hydraulic fluid.

/ Hydraulic Fluid
I ended up using some cheap transmission fluid ($1.29/qt). Once I had the rear end gear box housing opened up I was shocked again. There was a .5" deep layer of thick muck and water on the bottom of the housing. I heated the transmission fluid up, poured it in the housing and then stirred and agitated it as much as I could with long screw drivers shoved down between the gears and shafts before draining it. This removed the majority of the crud. Luckily the gears were in good condition despite the presence of the water. There were only a few rust lines where the liquid probably sat without movement for a long period of time. The condition of the rear end made me curious about the front end so I opened the drain on one of my front drive hubs and out poured water, oil and muck. It is amazing these things last as long as they do with the abuse they take.

/ Hydraulic Fluid #16  
What you describe makes me want to drain my hy/tran fluid just because I don't know how long it's been in there, and it still works ok. I don't have access to the tractor now, but when I get back to it I guess I can run a probe of some type in through the fill opening and see if I can dredge up any sludge.

/ Hydraulic Fluid #17  
Your hydrostatic trans filter should keep this from happening.