Hydraulic Fluid

/ Hydraulic Fluid #1  

gerlacr

Tractor
Yanmar 1500D
I drained the hydraulic-gear fluid out of my Yanmar 1500D that I purchased recently and was a bit shocked at what came out. I am not sure exactly what I expected but the fluid was a brownish yellow and had clumps that felt like the consistency of fine dirt. What can I use to flush the gear box out to remove any lingering yuk before I refill it?

/ Hydraulic Fluid #2  
Gerlacr,

About the best thing for that is kerosene. Don't use diesel and DON'T use gasoline. Kerosene is light enough that it will act as a solvent, cleaning agent, but should completely drain out of the transmission, with the lingering yuk. With the kerosene in there, you could briefly operate it (a few minutes) to circulate all bearings and gears. After that, drain the kerosene, refill with fresh cheap oil, operate for long enough to get it hot, and drain again. Then put in good oil and your good to go.

One has to wonder where the yuk came from and if any damage has been done to bearings, etc. For your sake I sure hope not.

Having said all the above, I am not a professional mechanic, but I have played one on TBN./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Nick

/ Hydraulic Fluid #3  
I am a practicing mechanic (Drs practice so why can't we).
Nick said it all. I have used diesel fuel to do the same thing however. I have also done the same thing to flush contamination out of an engine.
Bill

/ Hydraulic Fluid #4  
A word of caution on the use of kerosene. It may effect some of the newer hydraulic seals used in cylinders. Some seals are may become to soft allowing bypass and reducing their useable life.

/ Hydraulic Fluid #5  
<font color=blue>...What can I use to flush the gear box out to remove any lingering yuk before I refill it? ...</font color=blue>

I'd be careful of the kerosene/diesel fuel incompatibilities with internal seals... or you could open up a real can of worms for the future... /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

Instead, I would use "more" hydraulic fluid you can pick up @ Walmart or Sams Club for say ~~$11. for a 5 gallon pail... run the unit for a few hours with that and drain it and replace with the factory recommend fluids... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Hydraulic Fluid
I'm not sure about your parts of the country, but out here in Southern Cal, Walmarts don't carry hydraulic fluid. I live in a predominately metropolitan area. The only place I have found it is at tractor dealers and the going price appears to be in the range of $28 for a five gal pail. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and spend a few bucks on fluid.

Thanks for the advice.

/ Hydraulic Fluid #7  
If you can't get cheap hydraulic fluid to do it, get cheap transmission fluid.

/ Hydraulic Fluid #8  
My grandfather had an old 6 cyl. Chevy (1949 I think). Every oil change he would add a gal of diesel, start and idle it a minute; drain again and fill 'er up with fresh oil. That old car ran like a Swiss watch!

/ Hydraulic Fluid #9  
I like John Millers answer to your problem. Definitly use Hydraulic oil only! Fill to appropriate level use for an hour or so and pull the filter and see what you have. If totally contaminated again, start over until you get a good sample.

/ Hydraulic Fluid #10  
try looking tn an auto parts store, a lot sell it also.

JMIII,
Your right on the mony. I do the same thing when I am working on an old car. If the motor needs cleaning out, I get out what I can, then fill it up with cheep oil, and run it for a bit. Drain it, and replace the filter, and your ready to go.

One more thing. When you drain it out, make sure its warm. That will floot out more crud.