dump trailer modifications?

/ dump trailer modifications? #1  

kiotibill

Tractor
Kioti CK20s HST
I recently purchased a dump trailer for use around the home/barn. It is a Maxum 5 x 8 Low Profile Dump Trailer (5,000 lb GVWR). It has been fine but in use I have noticed something I may have overlooked when shopping for the trailer. It has power up and gravity down. Once lifted up with a load, I cannot let it down unless I dump all of the material in the bed because the weight makes it come down VERY fast! :eek: Is there a valve that could be installed that would let me vary the speed at which the bed comes down under weight so that everything in the bed doesn't have to be dumped to let the bed back down?

/ dump trailer modifications? #2  
I recently purchased a dump trailer for use around the home/barn. It is a Maxum 5 x 8 Low Profile Dump Trailer (5,000 lb GVWR). It has been fine but in use I have noticed something I may have overlooked when shopping for the trailer. It has power up and gravity down. Once lifted up with a load, I cannot let it down unless I dump all of the material in the bed because the weight makes it come down VERY fast! :eek: Is there a valve that could be installed that would let me vary the speed at which the bed comes down under weight so that everything in the bed doesn't have to be dumped to let the bed back down?

A one way restriction needle valve would do it....

Another possiblility is to limit the spool stroke on the controlvalve so the dump will be "throttled" down....

Is it a manual or electric control valve???

/ dump trailer modifications? #4  

You are vague on the type of hydraulic system it is.
Is it off tractor or power pack?

most power packs have a built in flow control in the solenoid tha tyou can adjust.

off tractor you might have to add flow control.

pictures are worth 1000 words and eliminate a lot of questions.

tom

/ dump trailer modifications? #5  

I would recommend this valve, allows 7 GPM in one direction, and 3 GPM in the other direction. Only $8

A needle valve will restrict, but in both directions.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2228012112543145&item=9-1207&catname=hydraulic

/ dump trailer modifications? #6  
   / dump trailer modifications? #7  
You are vague on the type of hydraulic system it is.
Is it off tractor or power pack?

most power packs have a built in flow control in the solenoid tha tyou can adjust.

off tractor you might have to add flow control.

pictures are worth 1000 words and eliminate a lot of questions.

tom

Good post tommu56!!;)

/ dump trailer modifications? #8  
Adjustable would be better since the weight varies...didn't you argue with others before about suggesting the use of fixed restrictors?

The poster never did say the gpm flow rate, but he did said he wanted it to lower slower. Not restrict in both directions. This setup will do just about what he wants, I believe. 7 gpm rate is a good lifting speed, and half of that would work for the drop rate. I don't see a problem.

The needle valve will also work in both directions. Adjust the flow for whatever.

/ dump trailer modifications? #9  

The needle valve will also work in both directions. Adjust the flow for whatever.

NOT the one I linked, Read the description:

New PARKER. All steel valve with "Colorflow" color band for easy flow adjustments.
F SERIES Adjustable flow control valve provides precise control of oil flow and shut-off in one direction and full flow the opposite direction.

/ dump trailer modifications? #10  
kennyd ,

You are correct, I did not read far enough. The one I suggested is a less expensive alternative.