Looking for suggestion

/ Looking for suggestion #1  

Pipestone Kid

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4110HST
I have a plate on the side of my hydrostatic transmission that leaks when I snow blow under heavy load. There is no gasket (by design) under this plate I plan on removing it and putting a sealant on and replacing it . I welcome sealant suggestions. It needs to be one that isn't affected by hydraulic fluid and maybe heat?? TIA, Jim

/ Looking for suggestion #2  
have you tried taking the cover off and just retourquing it? might save you the trouble of gooping it , I recently had some transmission work done on my 1910 ford and they used alot of black rtv I dont have leaks but it looks like ****.

/ Looking for suggestion #3  
Is this a cover you have to remove for service? If yes could you make gasket from gasket paper? If no I have had good luck with Permatex Grey RTV sealant.
NOTE: The surfaces must be completely oil free for RTV to seal properly. Allow 24 hrs for cure time if possible.

/ Looking for suggestion
I have not taken the cover off--it means draining down the system. When it comes off and goes back on, I want it to be done with. (Hopefully) It is not a cover that you take off for service and JD designed it without a gasket, so sealant is probably the way to go. As far as looks, you have to get under the tractor to see it, so I am not too concerned. Thanks for the input.

/ Looking for suggestion #5  
Red RTV works well for me
but it has to be clean & dry,--- dry, like as in no oil or foreign material.
and did I say dry? like in sprayed with brake cleaner, and allowed to dry.
if oil gets on the mating surfaces you might as well start over as RTV will not make a good seal with oil contamination. BTDT.
I find just a ever so light coat on one surface, and a little more on the other surface & assemble.
sometimes this is difficult to do working around a hydraulic system, but if you take your time, it will be a successful seal

/ Looking for suggestion
Thanks for the info guys. If the weather warms up a little, I will give it a go.