Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4110HST

Default Looking for suggestion

I have a plate on the side of my hydrostatic transmission that leaks when I snow blow under heavy load. There is no gasket (by design) under this plate I plan on removing it and putting a sealant on and replacing it . I welcome sealant suggestions. It needs to be one that isn't affected by hydraulic fluid and maybe heat?? TIA, Jim

Tractor
    kioti dk 45

Angry Re: Looking for suggestion

have you tried taking the cover off and just retourquing it? might save you the trouble of gooping it , I recently had some transmission work done on my 1910 ford and they used alot of black rtv I dont have leaks but it looks like ****.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

Default Re: Looking for suggestion

Is this a cover you have to remove for service? If yes could you make gasket from gasket paper? If no I have had good luck with Permatex Grey RTV sealant.
    NOTE: The surfaces must be completely oil free for RTV to seal properly. Allow 24 hrs for cure time if possible.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4110HST

I have not taken the cover off--it means draining down the system. When it comes off and goes back on, I want it to be done with. (Hopefully) It is not a cover that you take off for service and JD designed it without a gasket, so sealant is probably the way to go. As far as looks, you have to get under the tractor to see it, so I am not too concerned. Thanks for the input.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    too many!!

Red RTV works well for me
    but it has to be clean & dry,--- dry, like as in no oil or foreign material.
    and did I say dry? like in sprayed with brake cleaner, and allowed to dry.
    if oil gets on the mating surfaces you might as well start over as RTV will not make a good seal with oil contamination. BTDT.
    I find just a ever so light coat on one surface, and a little more on the other surface & assemble.
    sometimes this is difficult to do working around a hydraulic system, but if you take your time, it will be a successful seal

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4110HST

Thanks for the info guys. If the weather warms up a little, I will give it a go.