Replacing Disconnects

/ Replacing Disconnects #1  

Erik Graham

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2630,Ford NAA, Kubota L2550GST
Greetings;

I have a Kubota L2550 that has a 60" front mounted plow. At the moment it only has hydraulic up/down. The previous owner told me that it did have power left/right control but that the cylinders had seized and he had them removed and the plow converted to manual swing. I'd like to restore the plow to full hydraulic control and the first thing that struck me was that the disconnects for the remaining cylinder have been replaced and the remaining two look original and pretty rough.

My question is, is there pressure in the lines "back" of the disconnects, or is it simply a matter of unscrewing the old ones and installing the new ones ?

Lastly, any links to a hydraulics tutorial for newbies would be really helpful. When I source the replacement cylinders and get them mounted I'm sure I'll have lot's of questions about pressurizing the cylinders for the first time.

Cheers, Erik

Attachments

• Hydraulic-Connectors.jpg
    Hydraulic-Connectors.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 142
   / Replacing Disconnects #2  
If the engine is off, then there might be a small amount of pressure in the lines from the last time the valve was moved when it was running. As long as the engine is off, you are fine to unscrew them and put on new ones. Gravity will allow what's in the line to drain out, but shouldn't be very much. Depending on what type you have will dictate on how they threads are sealed. Mine don't require any sealant, so I can just take them on and off when I want.

I have Sechi quick disconnects. I think the spelling is wrong, but if you sound it out, you'll get the idea of their brand. I was told that they are the best, but I hate them. Under pressure, they are impossible to get apart or put togethe. I have to crack the line to remove the pressure on it to get them to work. Fortunately, when I put on my grapple, it stays on for months at a time, so I don't have to do this all the time.

Eddie

/ Replacing Disconnects #3  
Hello
There can be pressure between the control and the disconnect.
After you shut the engine off, move all of the controls and the pressure will go to 0. That is if everything is sitting on the ground and not raised up.

/ Replacing Disconnects
Thanks for the info. Replaced the disconnects with only a dribble of oil. One of those questions you don't know the answer to until you ask, or guess wrong!

Cheers, Erik