John Deere 4200 loader slow

/ John Deere 4200 loader slow #1  

Dmatt1222

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 1999 JD 4200 that has a hydraulic problem. The power steering is working fine but the front loader lift and tilt has started operating only at high RPM. Low Rpms it will not move at all. The 3 point hitch appears to operate normally but it has no load on it so I'm not sure about it.

I Drained the hydraulic oil, cleaned the suction strainer, changed the hydraulic oil filter and refilled with oil.

Strainer was clean, there are no oil leaks. I inspected all suction lines and no cracks were found. I disconnected the tilt lines and tried the lift fuction and would not lift at low RPMs. I reconnected the tilt lines and disconnected the lift lines and would not lift at low RPMs.

Local dealer of no help only wants the repair job. I am capable of any repair if I can pin point the trouble.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dan
Sellersburg IN.

/ John Deere 4200 loader slow #2  
Welcome to TBN Dan:D

The most common problem "the loader is slow or won't lift" questions is the QD's, but it sounds like you have eliminated that problem. The power steering has it's own pump, so that is not a clue...

What did the fluid look like when you changed it? Lots of metal may indicate a pump heading south...How may hours on the machine?

You can also verify the linkage from the joystick to the valve is in good shape.

Possibly a pressure gauge would help you at this point, you can make one up for about $35.00 or so to check your PRV (pressure relief valve) setting.

/ John Deere 4200 loader slow
Kenny, Great to have with me.

This tractor has a double pump with what I believe is the
power steering on one end and the hydraulic on the other.

The fluid I drained was light amber, no odd smell and very little particals.

The hour meter is not working but the tractor was purchased new in 1999 and used to mow 3 acres once a week from April thru October and do light landscaping around the house so my best guess is between 900 and 1000 hours

I'm out of town right now and will check the joystick linkage on 2/24, although the stick action feels normal.

Could you explain a little more about using a gauge to check the relief valve such as the
connection point and expected pressure?

Thanks, Dan

/ John Deere 4200 loader slow #4  
Dan, the gauge simple plugs into a loader QD, then you operate the joystick to send pressure to that port-the max system pressure will be displayed on the gauge. Look at the picture of mine below. Just a gauge, short hose and a QD. Not sure exactly what the pressure rating is (we can find out though)-but should be about 2500lbs.

Attachments

• DSC04085.JPG
    DSC04085.JPG
    348.3 KB · Views: 1,487
   / John Deere 4200 loader slow #5  
A 4200 should be 2125 psi.

EDIT: Kenny, you have a link to a post to build the gauge?

/ John Deere 4200 loader slow #6  
A 4200 should be 2125 psi.

EDIT: Kenny, you have a link to a post to build the gauge?

Link? No. But it very simple...screw hose onto gauge, screw QD onto hose.

/ John Deere 4200 loader slow #7  
I knew it was a stupid question. :) I was hoping to make my life simpler with part numbers...

Dmatt, you may want to remove the loader bucket and see if it operates at low rpm under less weight. Your problem sure sounds like a dying pump. I think there is one on eBay right now.

/ John Deere 4200 loader slow #8  
dmatt
I found the service manual, the following introduction to the hyd. system check.
Mentions flow test as well as pressure test.
Did I understand you to say you cleaned the mesh filter?
See if this introduction helps. Read left column of first pic, then the second pic, and finally the right column of the first pic. :)

Attachments

• System_check.JPG
    System_check.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,061
  • System_check_a.JPG
    System_check_a.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 1,083
Last edited:
   / John Deere 4200 loader slow #9  
Welcome Dan, and yes the 4200 - 4400 has separate pumps for the power steering and hydraulic systems.

KennyD is a wealth of hydraulic information, and I've learned a lot reading his posts and bouncing ideas back and forth with him.

Although I've never noticed a difference one way or another, could your SCV for the loader be set in the wrong regen position? Your owner's manual explains that better than I can.

/ John Deere 4200 loader slow #10  
I knew it was a stupid question. :) I was hoping to make my life simpler with part numbers...

Dmatt, you may want to remove the loader bucket and see if it operates at low rpm under less weight. Your problem sure sounds like a dying pump. I think there is one on eBay right now.

OK...

Gauge from the Surplus Center

Hose

NPT adapter

And a QD nipple fom JD that fits your machine...