IDEAS ON COUPLING HYD PUMP TO 2.3 FORD

/ IDEAS ON COUPLING HYD PUMP TO 2.3 FORD #1  

ALKY

Silver Member
Tractor
tym 233hst
JUST WONDERING WHAT TYPE COUPLING TO USE? PUMP IS VICKERS VANE 11 GPM. WILL IT WORK? NEW TO HYDRALICS. THANKS IN ADVANCE

/ IDEAS ON COUPLING HYD PUMP TO 2.3 FORD #2  
JUST WONDERING WHAT TYPE COUPLING TO USE? PUMP IS VICKERS VANE 11 GPM. WILL IT WORK? NEW TO HYDRALICS. THANKS IN ADVANCE

I am curious, are you asking pulley end of crank, or flywheel? Far as power with 2.3 Ford motor I would say the motor is quite capable. I know for my self and probably others what are you going to use it for?

/ IDEAS ON COUPLING HYD PUMP TO 2.3 FORD #3  
Some people will try and chastise you for typing all caps, but I don't mind. They call it screaming via the INTERNET.

You could direct couple if the motor shaft is long enough, or just add a pulley to the pump and turn it with the fan belt.

/ IDEAS ON COUPLING HYD PUMP TO 2.3 FORD #4  
Which model of Vickers vane pump is it. May want to check and see what the rated Max RPM of the pump is. I am not familiar with your model Ford so don't know what RPM your engine runs at.

On most, possibly all Vickers Vane pumps, the flow rate listed is at 1200 RPM so if you increase the RPM to 1800 your flow is now 1.5 times greater or 16.5 GPM.

If you have already accounted for this, ignore these comments.

Roy

/ IDEAS ON COUPLING HYD PUMP TO 2.3 FORD
I want to power a cardboard baler. The pump originally was driven by a 10 hp 3ph motor. My only alternative for electric is a 3ph gen. Right now i use aTSC wood splitter. Not bad but way slow in 2nd stage. Also when i get a bigger baler i only need to get a larger pump approx 40gpm.Would a belt work? I thought about driving off the flywheel or even trans.Sorry bout them caps as my typing skills are bad. Would higher rpms hurt the pump? BTW cylinder is 6in bore 48in stroke and 4in rod.

/ IDEAS ON COUPLING HYD PUMP TO 2.3 FORD #6  
A 40 GPM pump will require about 82 HP at 3000 psi.

/ IDEAS ON COUPLING HYD PUMP TO 2.3 FORD #7  
I guess you did ask what type of coupling to use, so I take it this pump does not have pulley on it? Some pumps can not take much of a side load with belt drive, just beware of that. If you could sell that 2.3 and buy a 16 to 18 horse garden tractor motor I think would be a better way to go, that 2.3 is way overkill and it would not have a govenor to control a steady R.P.M.. Couplings there is different types depending on h.p. and pump, The Burden Surplus Center would be a good place to look at for what ever your dimensions on shafts would be. And also you need to be aware of rotation of pump vs. motor rotation.

/ IDEAS ON COUPLING HYD PUMP TO 2.3 FORD #8  
A 11 GPM pump, 3000 psi, requires about a 23 HP engine.

/ IDEAS ON COUPLING HYD PUMP TO 2.3 FORD #9  
ALKY,
by a 2.3 Ford are you talking about a 2.3 liter ford engine?

If yes here is partial list of things to consider.

1) HP required? formula for figuring HP is GPM x PSI / (1714 x %efficency). For simplicity sake I use GPM x PSI / 1500.
another rule of thumb is it takes 1 HP to pump 1 GPM @ 1500 PSI

1a) To figure HP you must know flow in GPM and pressure in PSI.

2) Flow will be determined by pump displacement and RPM.

3) Pressure: some Vickers vane pumps are rated for 1500 PSI, some for 2500 PSI. Do you have the specs on the pump you have?

4) Like MMurphy stated. Pump rotation is critical. On most vane pumps, the rotation can be changed by dismantling the pump and flipping the rotating group. Don't try this if you don't know what you are doing though.

5) Vane pumps typically do not like belt drives or side loads on the input shaft. Some of them have outboard bearing to help absorb the side loads.

6) Coupling style: Several to choose from. Depends on the HP (torque), RPM environment they will be operating in etc. Love Joy, Magnaloy, Falk, etc all make flexible drive couplings.

7) mounting and alignment. Most flexible couplings will allow around .005 - .10" misalignment before starting to disintegrate.

I am sure others will add more items to consider.

Roy

/ IDEAS ON COUPLING HYD PUMP TO 2.3 FORD #10  
Check to see what the power band is for that engine if max. HP is at 4800 rpm then the pump should be matched to engine. How are you going to keep the engine speed consistent does it have a governor?