2 stage pump?

/ 2 stage pump? #1  

wvpolekat

Platinum Member
Tractor
1947 Ford 2N and 2003 Kubota B7500
I am looking at adding a hydraulic pump to my 47 2N for various light duty uses, like lifting a blade or something similar.

Seems like there are quite a few 2 stage pumps for a reasonable price. (< $200)

But, couple of questions:

1) Ok to drive with a belt? If these were designed to be coupled to a motor, will they stand up to the lateral force of a belt? Or should I just look into mounting it off the crank?

2) Will they work for this kind of thing? Seems like they would be almost perfect for something like this, where most of the time it would be low pressure.

/ 2 stage pump? #2  
I am looking at adding a hydraulic pump to my 47 2N for various light duty uses, like lifting a blade or something similar.

Seems like there are quite a few 2 stage pumps for a reasonable price. (< $200)

But, couple of questions:

1) Ok to drive with a belt? If these were designed to be coupled to a motor, will they stand up to the lateral force of a belt? Or should I just look into mounting it off the crank?

2) Will they work for this kind of thing? Seems like they would be almost perfect for something like this, where most of the time it would be low pressure.

most 2-stage pumps are made for logsplitters and for that reason designed for a lovejoy coupling or similar, so I do not recommend to use belt drive.....radial force will wear on shaft seal, bearing and gears.....

pump manufacturer/vendor should recommend appropriate/possible way to drive the pump

/ 2 stage pump? #3  
On my 8n (recently sold), the hydraulic pump was mounted and driven by the front shaft from the motor. It lived between the engine and the radiator :)

It operated the FEL (whose arms were actually the reservoir for the hydraulic fluid)

- JC