diverter valve

/ diverter valve #1  

ihuntbear

Gold Member
Tractor
2015 tym T554 and 1999 Kobota m4700
hey

When wiring up a relay for a diverter valve can I take the power off the key and Do I need a fuse from the key or do I have to go to the battery with a fuse

/ diverter valve #2  
I would recommend to connect to the key on position, and fuse it, as a separate circuit. This way, you have control when the circuit has power.

/ diverter valve
thanks JJ

I wired up the push button for the relay coil off the key switch but wasn't sure where to get the power for the relay contacts for the diverter

/ diverter valve #4  
I like to create a separate circuit, through a 30 amp relay directly from the battery that is triggered ON from the key. All non-factory accessories are hooked up to it.

Factory wiring and switches are usually sized for only for what is available from the manufacturer and cannot handle additional loads very well in my opinion. This method also keeps the factory harness intact.

/ diverter valve
so your saying I should run a fused power wire from the battery to the relay and run a the push button from the key with a fuse also ? I want the relay in the cab under the steering wheel to keep it out of the weather

/ diverter valve #6  
so your saying I should run a fused power wire from the battery to the relay and run a the push button from the key with a fuse also ? I want the relay in the cab under the steering wheel to keep it out of the weather

I would put a fuse on back side of ignition on circuit. For 5 bucks it could save a headache. Now that I said that, remember the trigger wire with relay (what ever size relay you use) should not require much amperage, so fuse would be very small compared to fuse in the switch circuit or it will not do you any good to spend the 5 bucks. Example: "on"(ignition) switch has a 30 amp protecting it.(from manufacture of tractor) If you use 30 amp on relay trigger (push button side circuit) it will not do anything for protection that already is not there.Example: if 3 amps is needed for trigger,(push button circuit) 5 amp fuse should work it. I find people really get confused with how the relay really works, I am hoping when you read this I did not confuse you !!!

/ diverter valve
thanks guys .I just finished the install.Everything working good.I put the relay in the cab under the steering wheel out of the weather.Instead of going to the battery to power up the contacts in the relay I went to the big power wire off the starter with inline 30 amp fuse which in turn goes to the battery.Then I took the power off the ign key to power up the coil in the relay with 10 amp inline fuse .I put a toggle switch between the button on the joystick and ign key so I could turn power off when grapple is not in use in case I hit the button by mistake