rust on ram

/ rust on ram #1  

mustang2105

Hi everyone. I had my dump truck sitting in a field for a few years. I had bed up because seems people do that so bed won't fill up with water and rust.

Anyway my cylinder has rusted. I don't want to ruin the seal what is the best way to get it off without hurting whatever is underneath.. Will rust removers acid damage the chrome or whatever the surface is. I sanded a small spot with 400 wet and it was taking the rust off but don't know if it's safe. If it was chrome i don't think it would have rusted.

thanks

/ rust on ram #2  
Hi everyone. I had my dump truck sitting in a field for a few years. I had bed up because seems people do that so bed won't fill up with water and rust.

Anyway my cylinder has rusted. I don't want to ruin the seal what is the best way to get it off without hurting whatever is underneath.. Will rust removers acid damage the chrome or whatever the surface is. I sanded a small spot with 400 wet and it was taking the rust off but don't know if it's safe. If it was chrome i don't think it would have rusted.

thanks

The fine sandpaper or scotchbrite pads are what I use-along with diesel fuel. If it's rusted, then the chrome is already pitted, so you can't do much more harm.

/ rust on ram #3  
steel wool, IMHO will remove the rust, and not hurt the rest of the chrome.

I've wooled many rods... the fact it rusted ain't great.. but.. ya gotta do what ya gotta do..

ps.. throw the 400 sand paper away.. that's way to coarse.. think more like 2000.. IE.. polishing. still.. I hate sand paper for polishing a rod... have better luck with rubing compound.. then clean it up well.. though I'd try steel wool first before any of the abrasives..

soundguy

/ rust on ram
Can it be it's not chromed at all? its not pitted just has surface rust all over the exposed part

/ rust on ram #5  
any flaking at the rusty areas?

soundguy

/ rust on ram #6  
I agree on the steel wool, but but you also want to block that bed up pretty thoroughly while you are working on the ram.

You do not want to be the subject of a post in the safety forum.

/ rust on ram #7  
Just use it. Most of these are single acting cylinders and there is no seal in the rod end anyway.