Manual to electric control of control valve

/ Manual to electric control of control valve #1  

Grammargarcia

Howdy,

I am in the process of building a dump trailer and my father-in-law gave me a hydraulic pump for this project. It however has a manual control valve. I am trying to see if anyone has done this changeover? I will post a picture in next day or so. Thanks for any input.

Zeus

/ Manual to electric control of control valve #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

A picture may help, but I suspect you will end up paying to much in time and money for this "free" pump if you try to modify it to much.

Last edited:
   / Manual to electric control of control valve
I have this same ugly feeling, but I will get a picture once their is some daylight. :confused:

All,

So I took a view pictures. It has quite a bit of ugly but it does work. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Zeus

Attachments

• 100_3230.jpg
    100_3230.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_3235.jpg
    100_3235.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_3231.jpg
    100_3231.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_3233.jpg
    100_3233.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 141
   / Manual to electric control of control valve #5  
I can't think of any easy way to convert that...Unless you can find a large solenoid or small linear actuator to move the valve.

I was thinking along the lines of an actuator, but where to find one? I have looked a little on the web. Most are wholesalers. Any thoughts. :confused:

/ Manual to electric control of control valve #7  
Surplus Center is one that has a great reputation for hydraulics and such, They also have a decent selection of actuators.

/ Manual to electric control of control valve #8  
An easy way would be to permanently lock the manual valve in the open position. Then put a 3 way solenoid valve on the manual valve output. Plumb the common port back to your cylinder, the normally open port to tank (for lower) and the normally closed port to the manual valve output (for raise). There should be an internal relief valve to prevent the pump from blowing up.

ISZ

Kenny D and ISZ,

Thanks for the input. I am going to try a 12v solenoid which will take the place of the lever.

I have a general question. What is the opinion of the all about hydraulic fluids. I am wondering just for education reasons. The hydraulic repair shop here suggested dextron III because of the low temps during the winter, but is their a downside to it in the summer?

Thanks a bunch,

Zeus. :confused:

P.S. I am just about done gathering all my steel for the dump trailer I am building. I will post pictures as things progress.

/ Manual to electric control of control valve #10  
you can change out the manual control for an electric unit, will require a new spool valve,solinoid and electric control handle. as far as the Dextron , will not be any problems with the summer usage. www.princessauto.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_manuals/8002286_schematic.pdf
this unit is very close to your unit, i think yours is an older model, check with the manufacture/good hydraulic shop for the parts required. Jim