Hydraulic Drive system.

/ Hydraulic Drive system. #1  

socoj2

Hey guys, someone on a welding site i am a member of said they had some knowledgeable people over here.

I am building a Hydraulic Driven Tracked ATV.

The problem im running into is i dont know all that much about hydraulics.

So i have a 24hp Horizontal shaft motor. The other Caveat is that i want to Electronically control the thing.

So i know i need the following:

1. Electronic Solenoid Valves
2. Proportional Electronic Flow Control?
3. Pump
4. 2x Motor
5. Resevoir
6. Radiator?
7. Lots of hoses and assorted fittings.

So shopping surplus center i sourced the following:

motor
2x
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-6239&catname=hydraulic

pump
1x
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-6664&catname=hydraulic

Valve
2x
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-4677&catname=hydraulic
2x
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?catname=hydraulic&qty=1&item=9-4070-1

Flow Control
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-5178&catname=hydraulic

I dont think the Solenoid Valves pass enough Flow to keep up with the motors how ever. So is there some sort of pilot operated control valve i can use in addition to them?

Also are the motors and Pumps Sized appropriately to go with my 24 hp Engine?

/ Hydraulic Drive system. #2  
Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Drive system. #3  
How large a vehicle will it be. Just for instance, on my Dixie Chopper, I have a 25 HP Kohler engine driving a transmission with two hydrostatic pumps and two hyd motors. It can turn on a dime. It can drive this machine at up to 10 MPH, and cut grass, but you do not normally cut grass that fast. It's going to depend on the weight, torque of the hyd motors, friction of the tracks, and the weight of the person.

/ Hydraulic Drive system.
Have you considered a variable speed pump on each side with it's own pump, motor, and valve setup.

Truthfully now. As i had no clue about the varaible speed motors and they usually cost an arm and a leg more.

What usually controls the variable part of these motors?

Vehicle weight should be 2k lbs. Rolling resistance is probably going to be about 150-250 lbs.

/ Hydraulic Drive system. #5  
Soco,
their are companies that make small hydrostatic pumps that are electrohydraulic controlled. These might be a better choice for you since they will only create the flow you require for the speed you require.

Companies that come to mind are:

Sauer Danfoss,
SAMHYDRAULIK - SAMHYDRAULIK

Eaton

rexroth

By trying to use all individual components I.e. directional valves, flow controls etc.. the plumbing and weight become a real issue.

Worked with some individuals years ago attempting to do this and they ended discovering that the inexpensive route didn't work very well.

Also word of caution: Some (most) wheel motors are inefficient so keep that in mind when sizing components also.

Roy

/ Hydraulic Drive system. #6  
Maybe this will help explain hydrostatic pump. My pump has a lever that moves in fwd and rev to control the amount and direction of the fluid.

Hydrostatic transmissions

Last edited:
Soco,
their are companies that make small hydrostatic pumps that are electrohydraulic controlled. These might be a better choice for you since they will only create the flow you require for the speed you require.

Companies that come to mind are:

Sauer Danfoss,
SAMHYDRAULIK - SAMHYDRAULIK

Eaton

rexroth

By trying to use all individual components I.e. directional valves, flow controls etc.. the plumbing and weight become a real issue.

Worked with some individuals years ago attempting to do this and they ended discovering that the inexpensive route didn't work very well.

Also word of caution: Some (most) wheel motors are inefficient so keep that in mind when sizing components also.

Roy

Not that i want to disagree.

But if i am creating a side by side drive with out electronics.

Normally i would have 2 motors. 2 pumps. 2 Control valves and 2 resevoirs.

Now if i want to control it electronically. im just increases the valves to 2 Inline Solenoids and 2 Flow Control valves.? Is there something im missing?

I have never seen an aftermarket electrohydraulic motor, Ebay Surplus center etc. The problem with a new engine is i dont have $4000-$5000 to spend on one.

/ Hydraulic Drive system. #9  
socoj2,

Not to scuttle your project, but have you thought this through using the selected components. The motors you selected will need 15 GPM each, and the reservoir minimum should be 15 gal just for one side. That pump will pump 19 GPM each side, for a total of 38 GPM, at 4000 psi. HP required to work that pump is about 104 HP. I think only high end machinery would use proportional valves, but in a different hyd configuration. A new DA solenoid proportional valve if they even make one, would cost upward of $1,000 plus.

Not to be nosy, but what kind of money were you planning on putting in this project?

I started doing what you are doing, collecting parts for a hyd machine many years ago, and I now have a bunch of parts such as cylinders, pumps, and motors. Very few people can just collect parts and throw something togather and hope it works , and sometimes they succeed.

socoj2,

Not to scuttle your project, but have you thought this through using the selected components. The motors you selected will need 15 GPM each, and the reservoir minimum should be 15 gal just for one side. That pump will pump 19 GPM each side, for a total of 38 GPM, at 4000 psi. HP required to work that pump is about 104 HP. I think only high end machinery would use proportional valves, but in a different hyd configuration. A new DA solenoid proportional valve if they even make one, would cost upward of $1,000 plus.

Not to be nosy, but what kind of money were you planning on putting in this project?

I started doing what you are doing, collecting parts for a hyd machine many years ago, and I now have a bunch of parts such as cylinders, pumps, and motors. Very few people can just collect parts and throw something togather and hope it works , and sometimes they succeed.

Well like i said. I dont know much about hydraulics. The motors i linked are probably vast over kill for what i want to do. Which is why im doing the research to begin with.

Surplus center has a electronic flow control valve that is up to 15 gpm and 3k psi for <500. and im seeing similar on ebay for under $300.

JJ. you have beena huge help!

Given 24 hp, needing to drive 2 systems what Pump/motor combo would you go with?