Log lift cylinder

/ Log lift cylinder #1  

sly601

I want to thank all for their help with my questions. Q#1 I have a 2 stag 16 gpm pump operating a 5x24 cylinder 1/2 in" ports , Im adding a log lift, 2-3"x 8-10" don't know which cylinder yet (any sugestions), Do i need a flow restricter or something for the smaller cylinder. the smaller cylinder will have smaller ports and I will adapt to them will that reduce the flow enough. Q#2 My other 2 stage 16 gph pump was stuck in low and i bought a new pump I asked the company what would cause the pump to stick in 4 gph mode and not go to 16 gph. I have power and no speed, They said more than likely contamanated oil, and to flush system and add new oil. I keep my splitter coverd and i have a suction strainer on the suction and a filter on the return. How would it get contaminated? The oil is 3 years old. On a rule of thumb when do you know to change oil, What do you look for.
Thank You So Much For Your Input!!
Sly601

/ Log lift cylinder #2  
Q#1 I have a 2 stag 16 gpm pump operating a 5x24 cylinder 1/2 in" ports , Im adding a log lift, 2-3"x 8-10" don't know which cylinder yet (any sugestions), Do i need a flow restricter or something for the smaller cylinder. the smaller cylinder will have smaller ports and I will adapt to them will that reduce the flow enough.

You can use 1/4" hoses to feed the lift cylinder, as well as add a adjustable restrictor if you find it's still moving to fast.
The oil is 3 years old. On a rule of thumb when do you know to change oil, What do you look for.

Dark discoloration, and water. If the fluid is milky then it it has water in it.

/ Log lift cylinder #3  
Change your oil and filter in any log splitter every year. I look for the date on the calendar. Other than the obvious, it is virtually impossible to tell good from contaminated oil by looking at it. For 30 bucks or so, it's not worth having headaches. Just change fluid and filter yearly.

/ Log lift cylinder #4  
Regarding the cylinder size, you need to design it.... Draw it out on paper, calculate the angles etc, and you can figure out what size you will need. Mine ended up with an 8" cylinder.

Wayne