LA 724 Bent Rods

/ LA 724 Bent Rods #1  

CyberCop

Did what everyone says not to do, so now I have two bent rods.

I read where someone actually used the tractor to bent the rods straight again.

I cannot even get my bucket to tilt up or down. They don't look anymore bent than the ones that others have posted pics of and straightened.

Am I missing something.

Can someone give me a step by step?

Thanks,

/ LA 724 Bent Rods #2  
Backdragging with the bucket pointed down?

/ LA 724 Bent Rods
KICK A MAN WHILE HE'S DOWN! OK, I deserve it.

I had to fold out the side of a ditch and couldn't do it from the road side pushing towards it so went to the other side and did the unmentionable!

Now that is out of the way, how bout some help bending them back.

Like I said, my bucket won't tilt either way!

/ LA 724 Bent Rods #4  
i would take them to a Hydraulic shop and have them straightened.

/ LA 724 Bent Rods #5  
It might work but don't be surprised if the rods break, don't straighten completely, or you start eating the seals. My dad had a rod on a piece of equipment that got a slight bend, and even after straightening it would just re-bend so we had to replace it. It depends on what kind of steel was used and how it was heat treated - and that will vary between vendors so two rods from the same model loader but different suppliers could react differently.

ISZ

/ LA 724 Bent Rods #6  
KICK A MAN WHILE HE'S DOWN! OK, I deserve it.

I had to fold out the side of a ditch and couldn't do it from the road side pushing towards it so went to the other side and did the unmentionable!

Now that is out of the way, how bout some help bending them back.

Like I said, my bucket won't tilt either way!

I sure didn't mean to kick you:laughing: In the post's I remember, the rods only had a slight bow to them, if yours are bent so much they won't move either way, then I think you need at best just new rods-at worst entire new cylinders if the endcaps are damaged.

How about a picture so we can see how bad they look?

/ LA 724 Bent Rods #7  
I would not try to straighten them. The chrome is probably already cracked and straightening the rod will add to the cracks. Chrome peels off and you ruin the rod bearings etc.

have new rods made if you have cylinder shop around. Save you grief over the long haul.

Roy

/ LA 724 Bent Rods
If they say my cylinders are shot, is there a better replacement than stock Kubota. These things are about $400 a pop!

please supply a part number if you can.

Thanks

/ LA 724 Bent Rods #9  
I would not try to straighten them. The chrome is probably already cracked and straightening the rod will add to the cracks. Chrome peels off and you ruin the rod bearings etc.

have new rods made if you have cylinder shop around. Save you grief over the long haul.

Roy

If they say my cylinders are shot, is there a better replacement than stock Kubota. These things are about $400 a pop!

please supply a part number if you can.

Thanks

As Roy just mentioned, find a local hydraulics shop. They can make new rods for you. Look in the phone book under "hydraulics"

/ LA 724 Bent Rods #10  
Cybercop,

Kennyd is right on...don't try to straighten (yield strength on steel has been met)...new rods and seal kits and good to go

whatever you do dont suck them back in (it many times ruins cyl barrel and/or gland)

We see this all the time in our Hyd Shop
:2cents:
Bill