3 pt. Won't Lift Heavy Loads (Anymore)

/ 3 pt. Won't Lift Heavy Loads (Anymore) #1  

reasley

Silver Member
Good morning --

I have a John Deere 4300 compact utility tractor that I have owned for about 3-4 years now -- great tractor.

About 3 months ago, with a need to lift very heavy round bales of hay, I adapted the fork lift attachment that I made for the front end loader so that it can be used at the rear -- a very, very handy thing to do. Particularly with very heavy items (I think that the 3 pt. will lift around 2200-2500 lbs., right?)

Also, I put a hydraulic top link on it at this time -- unbelievable. The hydraulic top link improves the utility of the 3 pt. by at least 100%. One has no idea what a box blade can do until a hydraulic top link is installed (I can imagine that the tilt would also provide a proportionate increase in utility).

Anyway, things have been going well -- until a couple of days ago. When I tried to lift a round bale, it would only raise it about 3 inches.

Let me describe what led up to attempting to lift the bale and it may provide clues for those who may have suggestions. When I attached the fork lift to the rear, I had it at a pretty sharp angle leaning toward the front of the tractor. I must have raised the 3 pt. at that time to "automatically come up" all the way and then took off for the hay bale. When I got there, the 3 pt. was pushing vey hard against the roll bar.

Here's what I am thinking happened: I believe that the pressure of the immovable object (the roll bar) with the 3 pt. trying to "raise it" either blew the relief valve or blew the seals in the hydraulic portion of the lift, with the former being my guess. I am guessing that the relief valve is not "re-settable," that it is basically a fuse that "blows" (I know that it says "valve" which one would assume makes it a multi-use part but I am looking for answers/suggestions from someone more familiar than me with them.)

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Richard Easley
Waco, Texas

/ 3 pt. Won't Lift Heavy Loads (Anymore) #2  
Richard

I also have a 4300. It has given me great pleasure for 10 years now. I usually just call the dealer when something major stops working. In the owners manual it says the following: If the 3-point hitch fails to lifts check

1. Low oil level
2. Hydraulic stop valve closed
3. Excessive load on hitch
4. Hydraulic oil too cold
5. Hydraulic oil suction screen clogged

The 3-point hitch lift capacity is 2200 lbs.

/ 3 pt. Won't Lift Heavy Loads (Anymore)
Good evening, rekees4300 --

Thanks for the info.

I let the tractor sit for a day or so and went back to it today. One of the things that I realized is that I made two attachment points for the hydraulic top link to connect to the fork lift. I haven't used it for about a month to move a hay bale and, when I hooked it up back there, I connected it to the top attachment point on the forklift. I am thinking that this may have been the problem in that it might have been limiting lift. Anyway, when I went back out today, I moved the top link to the bottom attachment point and the hale bale came right up to the top of the 3 pts.' range. So, either that was the problem or the relief valve had been sticking; I am assuming the former, though.

Again, thanks for the response!

Richard Easley
Waco, Texas

/ 3 pt. Won't Lift Heavy Loads (Anymore) #4  
From the JD shop manual for the 4200, 4300, 4400.

3 POINT HITCH
Type Category One, Lift Capacity at 61.0 cm (24 in.) Behind Link Arms 999 kg (2200 lb)

You mentioned adding a hydraulic top-link. Do you have a Power Beyond kit too? If so, the top-link cylinder may rub up against the quick-connect on the PB and dislodge the connection just enough to cut off flow to your 3PH. This has happened with my 4200 since I added a hydraulic top-link.

/ 3 pt. Won't Lift Heavy Loads (Anymore) #5  
Richard, if it was the PRV, then you would here the engine laboring.

/ 3 pt. Won't Lift Heavy Loads (Anymore) #6  
I am having a similar problem but NO lift. Where is the hydraulic stop valve and suction screen. I also have a backhoe. I found the problem when I went to take the backhoe off

/ 3 pt. Won't Lift Heavy Loads (Anymore) #7  
I am having a similar problem but NO lift. Where is the hydraulic stop valve and suction screen. I also have a backhoe. I found the problem when I went to take the backhoe off

/ 3 pt. Won't Lift Heavy Loads (Anymore) #8  
Tycham, is the tractor setup from the factory/dealer for the backhoe? If so there may be a safety switch that disables the 3ph that is stuck. Are the other hydraulics working?

/ 3 pt. Won't Lift Heavy Loads (Anymore) #9  
On the tractor hook a jumper hose to the fitting where you unhooked the backhoe. If the hoe is still hooked up I don't know with the info you gave.

/ 3 pt. Won't Lift Heavy Loads (Anymore) #10  
If there is a hyd gage in the hyd system, you should be able to determine if there is pressure developed by the 3pt system.

If you have no pressure with the lever in the raise position, then you have a switch in the wrong position.

You do not have a path to the 3pt for the fluid to flow.

The seals on the piston are bad.

3pt relief stuck open.

If you have a loop hose for the back hyd, check for correct hookup.