Upgrading the JD4320 Hydraulics

/ Upgrading the JD4320 Hydraulics #1  

idaho04

Bronze Member
I am planning to

1. add 2 rear remotes to get total 3, to control my 3 point (top link, side link and chisels on the box)
2. resolve the hydraulics to my AnBo grapple,
3. being able to connect my backhoe and splitter, the control valves are on the attachment.

The 2007 JD4320 has one rear remote. My old 1978 Ford has triple CV (TCV) in the back and can connect the backhoe and splitter. I may give the Ford to my son, that's why I want to upgrade the JD.

I have read several related threads here. I can't say that I understand all of it.

I am thinking to use the TCV from the Ford and add to JD hydraulics. that will give me total 4 CVs, one to lead to the front for the grapple and three for the back. I could use the PBY from the TCV for uncontrolled remote(?).

My questions:

1. Would this work? Any better solutions?
2. The TCV is all 1/4 in vs. JDs 3/8 in, is it OK?
3. Where do I get the input to the TCV?
4. How to create the port for the backhoe/splitter?

/ Upgrading the JD4320 Hydraulics #2  
What you want to do is certainly possible...

You will feed the new valve from the Power Beyond lines that you already have for your backhoe. These lines have constant flow whenever the machine is running.

To plug in your hoe or splitter, you will need to add QD's (quick disconnects) to the IN side of the new valve bank so that you can add the hoe or splitter in series to the PB line.

Whether the valve you have will work I am not sure...need more info on it. If only the work ports are 1/4" and the IN and OUT ports are larger than you will be fine, but if the IN and OUT ports are 1/4" then that valve is to small for your machine.

/ Upgrading the JD4320 Hydraulics
Thank you for your reply KennyD, I was hoping that you would help me, I read many of your entries in this forum.

I do not have PB lines in my JD, I cannot connect backhoe or splitter to the JD right now. It is what I want to achieve. I still need to know where to tap the JD hydraulics to get the input to the TSV. Where could I find such info?

I will try to find out more about the old valve. It looks to me that it may be 1/4 in input/output. I still do not understand what is the difference between connecting the valve to PB or in series.

If I cannot use the old valve I have I may do something different, maybe a diverter.

/ Upgrading the JD4320 Hydraulics #4  
Thank you for your reply KennyD, I was hoping that you would help me, I read many of your entries in this forum.

I am here for you bro:thumbsup:

I do not have PB lines in my JD, I cannot connect backhoe or splitter to the JD right now. It is what I want to achieve. I still need to know where to tap the JD hydraulics to get the input to the TSV. Where could I find such info?

Attached below is a picture of the Power Beyond kit for your machine (open station right?) With that "kit" you can feed your new valve, and a backhoe and/or splitter.

The Technical manual on CD is under $100 form JD and is a GREAT resource for things like this. Also, www.jdparts.com is, and it's free-it's the same basic parts system the dealers use at the parts counter.

I will try to find out more about the old valve. It looks to me that it may be 1/4 in input/output. I still do not understand what is the difference between connecting the valve to PB or in series.

1/4" IN/OUT simply will not work for you-it won't support the Flow (GPM) of your machine. PB is just a "better" way to add valves, I am not going to type it all out now...there are plenty of threads about in the Hydraulics forum.

If I cannot use the old valve I have I may do something different, maybe a diverter.

Not sure how a diverter will do everything you want...but you can certainly buy a new three spool valve that will.

Attachments

• 4320 1.gif
    4320 1.gif
    30.7 KB · Views: 231
OK, I took your advice, KennyD, and I am now thinking installing a PB and leading it out next to the existing rear remote. From there, two hoses will power a triple CV. In case I need to run hoe or splitter I would disconnect the CVs and use the PB directly. Do I have it right?

I studied the description by Jimgerken adding PB to his 2520. I assume I can do similar, hoping that 4320 is not much different. All connections will be 3/8 in instead of 1/4 in (SAE8?).

I have registered to JDPARTS.COM but I am unsuccessful to find anything. I typed 'power beyond', 'upgrade kit', in the keyword but it found no matches. How do you find anything in there? Also, do I have to go through a dealer? I do not use any dealer around here, they are expensive and not friendly. I am getting my JD stuff from a place about 250 miles away, too far to get a small part. Do they offer an online parts service?

/ Upgrading the JD4320 Hydraulics #6  
I studied the description by Jimgerken adding PB to his 2520. I assume I can do similar, hoping that 4320 is not much different. All connections will be 3/8 in instead of 1/4 in (SAE8?).

Yours is similar, but not the same.You pick up the pressure/return at different places. But the theory is the same. There is an ongoing thread in the JD forum about a 4300-that is pretty close to yours. I can post pictures from JDparts later when I get home.

I have registered to JDPARTS.COM but I am unsuccessful to find anything. I typed 'power beyond', 'upgrade kit', in the keyword but it found no matches. How do you find anything in there?

The best advice I can give: "Think like a parts guy"

After selecting your model-4320 Compact Utility Tractor, go to either the Alphabetical or Sectional index and look under Hydraulics, The PB kit is listed under Rear Auxiliary Hydraulic Kit.

Attachments

• 4320-1.gif
    4320-1.gif
    30.7 KB · Views: 193
OK, I think I am getting it. Thank you for your help. I think I want to buy and install the 'rear auxiliary PB kit' from JD. Then I will purchase a 3 spool CV from Surplus and install by myself.

Everything needs to be 3/8 in, is it SAE8?

Do you know what is the difference in price between buying the PB kit from JD and buy individually at Surplus? Is it really an alternative?

/ Upgrading the JD4320 Hydraulics #8  
kennyd
I then take it that hose #14 is where the 3 spool CV is plumbed into the PB, and when connected to itself it completes the pressure line to the 3 ph rockshaft system.

I'll be interested in what/where the 3 spool CV gets located on the 4320.

/ Upgrading the JD4320 Hydraulics #9  
kennyd
I then take it that hose #14 is where the 3 spool CV is plumbed into the PB, and when connected to itself it completes the pressure line to the 3 ph rockshaft system.

I'll be interested in what/where the 3 spool CV gets located on the 4320.

Correct, the valve needs to be OC (open center) and will take place of the loop.

/ Upgrading the JD4320 Hydraulics #10  
OK, I think I am getting it. Thank you for your help. I think I want to buy and install the 'rear auxiliary PB kit' from JD. Then I will purchase a 3 spool CV from Surplus and install by myself.

Everything needs to be 3/8 in, is it SAE8?

Do you know what is the difference in price between buying the PB kit from JD and buy individually at Surplus? Is it really an alternative?

You can plumb it yourself for probably less-but first you must educate yourself a little more in the different types of fittings, and having a good local hydraulic shop close will help also. You don't want to be waiting a week for a fitting and not be able to use your machine.

Fitting Chart from DHH