Hydralics stopped working!

/ Hydralics stopped working! #1  

Bob Ha

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TN75, Kubota M9960, Kubota M7040, NH T4.85
My dad was brush hogging today and stopped to adjust (Leveling) the 3pt. When he got back on to continue brush hogging the 3pt would not raise. He lowered the FEL and then it would not raise. He returned to the shop and checked the fluid and it was about 1/2 gallon low (hold 11.1 gallons). No change after adding fluid... the hydraulics still not working. I haven't personally seen the issue due to 100 miles between me and the tractor. The FEL is about 6 months old and very little use (maybe 10 hours). I do have a new filter and fluid that I can install but I'm a little cautious since the FEL is still under warranty and don't want to hear "you caused it when you changed the fluid and filter". Any ideas where to start this weekend when I get there and see first hand whats going on? 2003 New Holland TN75.

My first thoughts are clogged filter due to the new FEL and maybe some contaminates got in some how or Hydraulic pump failure. If it turns out to be the pump is that difficult to install for a not so mechanical person?

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:
   / Hydralics stopped working! #2  
Bob, lets first do basic checks.
Hydraulic oil level is fine.... Is there Quick Disconnects? If so undo and rehook... Is there a lever or control that has to be engaged???... Have your dad recheck what he did to make sure there is no safety that comes to play.. Changing oil if it is that new would be wasteful, plus under warranty they may want to do analysis if there is a problem internal.

/ Hydralics stopped working! #3  
i'd agree.. first thing I'd check was quick disconnect lines. drop the loader to the ground, releas all pressure with joystick, then remove and reconnect all qd's

don't use her untill you do this as the hyd pump may be running thru the relief valve in full bypass depending on where the qd is disconnected.

soundguy

/ Hydralics stopped working!
I called my NH dealer for help and found out there going out of business. Thought maybe one of the mechanics could use some work but they already gone. Hum... now what to do. Now I don't have to worry about voiding the warranty work. :confused: At this point just not sure what to do. Maybe drain the fluid and replace filer. If that doesn't work??????????

Could the qd's also cause the 3pt not to function? I'll try anything since I'm at a loss of what it could be.

I'm sure the hydraulics system could be bleeded to make sure no air is present but not sure how.

/ Hydralics stopped working! #5  
My first thought is that there is a stuck open relief valve or a sheared off hydraulic pump drive.
Good luck,
Jim

/ Hydralics stopped working! #6  
Even a dirty filter would get some responce. If it was fine untill then, you will throw money away.

/ Hydralics stopped working! #7  
Bob maybe throw your problem over in the NH category, someone there may have had something like this to.

/ Hydralics stopped working! #8  
Is there a Power Beyond loop (like to power a backhoe or logsplitter) plumbed at the rear of the tractor? If so then unplug it and re-connect it.

/ Hydralics stopped working! #9  
don't fret or do anything big till you do the simple check of all the QD plugs. It's the first, easiest, best, cheapest thing to check.. and in many cases.. it's all that's wrong.

if that ain't it.. you got plenty of time to 'worry' later.

PS.. just cuz yer dealer went down doesn't maen the warranty is automatically void. just means you might have to trailer it to get to another dealer...

post back AFTER checking the QDs.

soundguy

/ Hydralics stopped working!
I talked to my NH dealer that's going out of business and they were very helpful. At first they thought maybe bleeding the hydraulics but after I told them no new filter was installed they weren't sure bleeding would fix my issue. All mechanics have already gone so the salesman explained how to bleed the pumps. After trying the first pump, still no working hydraulics. I opened the bleed screws on both pumps, started the tractor messed with the joystick and air shot out the second pump and then oil. Turned off the tractor, tightened the screws and all hydraulics back in working order.

I just have to say thanks to the employees that are about to be jobless but still took the time to help. G & G tractor in Denton, I'm sorry to see you go. Maybe I'll find another dealer that stands behind there product even when they don't have too.