FEL hydraulic problem

/ FEL hydraulic problem #1  

AndyF

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200 & B7200
I have a DUAL 95 FEL on my Kubota B8200. The FEL has a joystick type control. Occasionally after emptying the bucket, it seems to lock up. I can raise and lower the bucket, but I cannot adjust the bucket angle until I raise the bucket all of the way. When the bucket is all the way up I can then adjust the bucket angle.

ANy ideas on what is causing this and how to fix?

/ FEL hydraulic problem #2  
My first reaction is to suggest checking all your hydraulic hoses and fittings going to your bucket curl cylinders. You could have a crimped hose or a partially connected quick disconnect. You can check if your joystick control is working by the sound of the engine when you try to change the bucket angle. If the engine is loading, but the bucket isn't moving, you probably have a restriction or blockage. This may not be much help, but it's just a couple of thoughts that ran through my head as I read your post. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ FEL hydraulic problem
I checked the hoses and can't see any obvious crimps or restrictions. One of the things I find puzzling about this problem is that it only occurs every now and then. The loader will be working fine for awhile, it'll hang up and then be fine again.

/ FEL hydraulic problem #5  
Possibly, but dosn't sound exactly like a problem with a bucket cylinder. I once blew the piston out on a lift cyl. and the loader just "locked up" with power in either direction. Also could be something in the control valve obstructing flow. I won't say absolutely, but generally low fluid just won't go all the way up.

/ FEL hydraulic problem #6  
Hydraulic problems are always a challenge but intermittent ones add another dimension. On the other hand it can sometimes be a sediment or obstruction that floats in plugs and then floats and unplugs.

You never know but if everything else fails then it might be time to get into the reservoir.

/ FEL hydraulic problem #7  
Andy, there is another check you might make before you start "opening up" your tractor. You would have to wait until the problem occurs again. If/when it does, check the engine loading when you move the joystick so you can tell if the hydraulic pump and system is trying to move the bucket. Next, drop the bucket to the ground and back your tractor up to let the bucket be forced forward by the lip against the ground. After it moves a short amount, try to curl it up again with the joystick. If it goes up, you may have a cylinder that leaks internally only when it is completely extended. You may think that because you have two cylinders, the other one should lift the bucket, but because they are in parallel in the hydraulic circuit, a leak in one cylinder will bypass all fluid. If it's not a leak, then you might start looking for trash or blockage. It could also be a spool in a control valve, but that is something you'd want to have checked in the shop. I don't remember, was your tractor new or used? I know it was shipped to you from a distant dealer. It must be frustrating to have a new tractor and also have problems./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Good luck.

/ FEL hydraulic problem
Thanks for the advice.

I've checked the fluid level and it is good and the fluid looks good also. Regarding the tractor's history, I purchased it at an estate auction last fall. I don't know much about it other than it wasn't used a lot as the owner had many other toys to play with including a back hoe and at least four other tractors.

The next time I have the problem I'll try lowering the bucket and checking for an internal leak.

The only other problem I have noticed is that its capacity seems a little low for a 48" wide loader as it cannot lift much more than 500lbs. If I try to pick up much more than this, it won't lift the weight and I here a loud screeching noise which I'm assuming is the relief valve.

/ FEL hydraulic problem #9  
That is probably your problem. How does your three point hitch work? If it's slow and weak look at the main relief. If it works OK look at the loader relief valve. I've seen them with seats busted in half and the check ball looking like a lump of gravel. Bucket curl uses the rod side of the cylinder, it takes a lot more pressure to curl than dump. You lift with the piston side of the lift cylinder, that's why it'll still go up with low pressure. If this doesn't make sense, holler and I'll try to explain it another way. Anyway, you have to fix the obvious problem first.