cylinder shaft lube?

/ cylinder shaft lube? #1  

kongmen

Bronze Member
Tractor
L3600 Kubota
I was just curious, I'm new to tractors and hydraulics, but concerning the cylinder shafts (the shinny steel shaft on bhs' and fels') are they suppose to be lubed in any way? I sprayed some white lithium grease on mine thinking it may help with smooth operation. Thanks for any replies.

/ cylinder shaft lube? #2  
I was just curious, I'm new to tractors and hydraulics, but concerning the cylinder shafts (the shinny steel shaft on bhs' and fels') are they suppose to be lubed in any way? I sprayed some white lithium grease on mine thinking it may help with smooth operation. Thanks for any replies.

I don't think you have done any harm, but this PISTON ROD do not need any other lubrication than from the oil inside the cylinder. DO NOT continue spraying with that Lithium grease. If that grease contaminate the oil......:confused2:

EDIT: Good point from radman1 on next post, about storage, even though it's not always possible to hide piston rod when storing the equipment, due to gravity forces and internal leakage....boom on back hoe for example....

Last edited:
   / cylinder shaft lube? #3  
In general, the answer is no. If stored outside and not used for a period of a few months, I will often apply a light layer of grease to the exposed rod. If stored inside, I don't grease them. Ideally, the best way to store outside is with the cylinder retracted, then the rod is not exposed to the elements.

/ cylinder shaft lube? #4  
In general, the answer is no. If stored outside and not used for a period of a few months, I will often apply a light layer of grease to the exposed rod. If stored inside, I don't grease them. Ideally, the best way to store outside is with the cylinder retracted, then the rod is not exposed to the elements.

Yes, I agree totally. Even expensive name-brand loaders and other
hydraulic implements have chrome-plated cylinder rods that will
eventually rust when exposed to moisture for long periods. I have
found some very easy to apply spray-on grease. Small rust spots can
destroy the gland seals!