Basic logic question...

/ Basic logic question... #1  

futuresweets10

Silver Member
Some of you may have seen my other threads and kinda have an idea whats going on already. The front bucket on my back hoe wont tilt up or down and if I pick it up off the ground it just falls. I took the entire valve assembly off and had a local shop rebuild it. My logic is that the ONLY OTHER POSSIBILITY is the cylinder needing rebuilt. Am I correct or is there anything else that could cause this?

/ Basic logic question... #2  
I agree on the cyl.
larry

/ Basic logic question... #3  
Some of you may have seen my other threads and kinda have an idea whats going on already. The front bucket on my back hoe wont tilt up or down and if I pick it up off the ground it just falls. I took the entire valve assembly off and had a local shop rebuild it. My logic is that the ONLY OTHER POSSIBILITY is the cylinder needing rebuilt. Am I correct or is there anything else that could cause this?

Depends what you mean by "front bucket".
If you mean the bucket on the front end loader - AND IF EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS, e.g. the hoe hydraulics, stabilizers, etc. - AND if it is a single cylinder FEL bucket, then yes the cylinder itself is almost certainly shot.
Could just be a seal, could be the piston has come unscrewed from the rod, can't tell from HERE !

/ Basic logic question...
Depends what you mean by "front bucket".
If you mean the bucket on the front end loader - AND IF EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS, e.g. the hoe hydraulics, stabilizers, etc. - AND if it is a single cylinder FEL bucket, then yes the cylinder itself is almost certainly shot.
Could just be a seal, could be the piston has come unscrewed from the rod, can't tell from HERE !

Yep, the FEL bucket. EVERYTHING else is currently working just fine, and it is a single cylinder on the front.

/ Basic logic question... #5  

Was the bucket working right before the valve rebuild? Being a mechainc, I would say if everything was okay......then the last place disturbed (the valve) is probably the problem. Just because a shop rebuilt something doesn't rule out they didn't do their work right.
hugs, Brandi

/ Basic logic question...
Was the bucket working right before the valve rebuild? Being a mechainc, I would say if everything was okay......then the last place disturbed (the valve) is probably the problem. Just because a shop rebuilt something doesn't rule out they didn't do their work right.
hugs, Brandi

Bucket hasnt worked since i had the machine and the machine was sitting up for a year prior to my ownership. I had the valve rebuilt because several people told me that the valve rebuild would fix the bucket.

/ Basic logic question... #7  
Cat_416B_4x4_-_facing_left.jpg

The single cylinder is obviously hooked up so it needs to extend to lift the front edge of the bucket.....hard to see in detail on the picture....correct me if I am wrong....
Is the bucket dropping down even with control valve in neutral??

Is there any work port valves on the bucket, or any in line valves, between control valve and capped side on cylinder? (if such a valve leaks, bucket will drop down), spool valve is unlikely to leak that bad to drop the bucket fast...

What is the recent past "history" on that bucket?? Did it ever work properly since you got the backhoe??oki I got your answer on that one

100% sure cylinder is "primed" with oil??

Can you do an internal leak test on the cylinder, by disconnecting the rod side hose on the control valve (hold over a bucket or direct to tank if reachable), and run lift (extend)...if "flooding" piston might be off the rod.....if "pouring" seal is bad...

/ Basic logic question... #8  
Ok, if I understand you correctly, the arms will lift the bucket, the rollback/dump will not work.

A] remove both the lines to the cylinder and place them in a 5 gal can. Does oil flow from each line one at a time when you move the control in one direction at a time? no=valve problem. Yes= cylinder problem.

/ Basic logic question... #9  
Bucket hasnt worked since i had the machine and the machine was sitting up for a year prior to my ownership. I had the valve rebuilt because several people told me that the valve rebuild would fix the bucket.

Futuresweets10,
Both units probably need rebuilt then. Hard to say until both are checked out. Be sure all pressure relief valves are closed and not dumping pressure back to the reservoir.;)
hugs, Brandi

/ Basic logic question... #10  
Before rebuilding anything, check it for pressure. You can use a cheap preassure gauge and some simple fittings, but know what's wrong before rebuilding things that are not broken.

It could be several things, but you need to do some testing to find out where the problem is.

Eddie