2.5"-3.5" Rod Hydraulic Cylinder-Where to buy?

/ 2.5"-3.5" Rod Hydraulic Cylinder-Where to buy? #1  

LanceH

Silver Member
Hey everyone,

I'm wanting to outfit my 2nd homemade log splitter with a 4" to 5" x 24" hydraulic cylinder. When looking at Timberwolf and the Built-rite models, they use 3"+ rod sizes in their 4.5-5" cylinders. It seems that this can create more force as well as more strenght to the extended cylinder.

What are the benefits of this bigger rod and does anyone, please, know where i can view some with prices? I've done all kinds of google searches and cant find squat.

I plan on putting a 10hp +/- diesel engine on it. I'll post my progress pictures once i get all my parts and pieces. It will probably be a china replica unless i stumple on a boatload of cash for a Hatz or Lombardini.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

/ 2.5"-3.5" Rod Hydraulic Cylinder-Where to buy? #2  
i'd have to say that it would have to give it more durability, though, in a properly built and functioning splitter, a 1.5"-2" diameter shouldn't bend anyways.

one big difference in the larger shaft will be reduced power on the return stroke, as the fluid will have less surface area to push on, but for a splitter application that also means that the return cycle time will be faster, as there is less cylinder volume to fill on that side. looks like a win-win situation for a splitter.

/ 2.5"-3.5" Rod Hydraulic Cylinder-Where to buy? #3  
in a properly built and functioning splitter, a 1.5"-2" diameter shouldn't bend anyways.

one big difference in the larger shaft will be reduced power on the return stroke, as the fluid will have less surface area to push on,

Two excellent reasons (in addition to high cost) why the cylinder the OP is looking for will be a tough find. A salvage loader or backhoe cylinder would be the easiest source. Bring lots of cash.

/ 2.5"-3.5" Rod Hydraulic Cylinder-Where to buy? #5  
It seems that this can create more force as well as more strenght to the extended cylinder.

What are the benefits of this bigger rod and does anyone, please, know where i can view some with prices? I've done all kinds of google searches and cant find squat.

It will not create anymore force. A 5" cylinder with a 1/2" rod or a 4 1/2" fod will create the same force when going forward. Which is only determined by the square inches of the piston and the pump PSI.

Lostcause hit the nail on the head. The reason for larger rods is much quicjer return times. A 5" x 30" cylinder with a 1.5" rod has 2.3 gallons to fill to return. With a 3" rod, it has 1.5 gallons to fill to return. With a 22GPM pump, a 1.5" rod takes 6.2 seconds to retract. A 3" rod will take only 4 seconds.

In theory, larger rods are stronger as well, but in a straight push you will most likely never bend a 1.5 or 2" rod. So only you can decide if the added cost of a large rod cylinder is worth the quicker cycle time when retracting.

/ 2.5"-3.5" Rod Hydraulic Cylinder-Where to buy? #7  
In practice as well.

Yes but in the case of a logsplitter where the wedge is usually designed to keep the push in a straight direction only, with no angular loads, a 1.5 or 2" rod is pleanty strong enough. In the case of a logsplitter, the only REAL advantage is the cycle times.

There comes a certain strength point with everything that once you reach, anything more is just overkill.

A 4" thick steel push plate on the end of the splitter is indeed stronger than a 2" plate, but if your cylinder doesn't have enough force to bend/break the 2", then the 4" is pointless. This is kinda my point with the rod sizes.

/ 2.5"-3.5" Rod Hydraulic Cylinder-Where to buy? #8  
I'm guessing that you should be able to get a 5"x 24" with a 2 1/2" rod shipped to your door for around $500.

/ 2.5"-3.5" Rod Hydraulic Cylinder-Where to buy? #9  
i got a "chief" brand 5x30 with a 3 inch rod shipped to me for about $400. it is a monster

/ 2.5"-3.5" Rod Hydraulic Cylinder-Where to buy? #10  
I can't count how many 1.5" rods out of log splitters I have changed. Yes, they do bend in log splitters.

For the Surplus Center cylinder linked above, I'm sure a good hydraulic shop can custom make a cylinder for less.