Installed restricted orifice on my hydraulic toplink today

/ Installed restricted orifice on my hydraulic toplink today #1  

rjkobbeman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD-12 2010
I finally got around to installing a couple of restrictive orifices on my hydraulic toplink today. MAN, what a difference that makes!

Probably only needed one, but I put one on each line.

I gave it a heavy workout today mowing a 300' ditch. Had to back into the ditch on each side. Mowed 6' at a time... up and down, up and down.

I couldn't find the orifices when I installed the HTL. Was a pain to use... really jumped down hard, even when finessing the controls. The HTL is sweet now! Got a little warm, but the workout it got today is not normal.

/ Installed restricted orifice on my hydraulic toplink today #2  
What did you use to restrict it? Pictures?

Pete

/ Installed restricted orifice on my hydraulic toplink today #3  
I finally got around to installing a couple of restrictive orifices on my hydraulic toplink today. MAN, what a difference that makes!

Probably only needed one, but I put one on each line.

I gave it a heavy workout today mowing a 300' ditch. Had to back into the ditch on each side. Mowed 6' at a time... up and down, up and down.

I couldn't find the orifices when I installed the HTL. Was a pain to use... really jumped down hard, even when finessing the controls. The HTL is sweet now! Got a little warm, but the workout it got today is not normal.

Just to confirm your thoughts, you do in fact only need one restictor.

/ Installed restricted orifice on my hydraulic toplink today #4  
would be nice to hear about your setup.....

Generally speakin, there are a few things to take into concideration when setting up a restrictor...

...do you need restriction on both extend and retract?

...if there are inertia or gravity forces involved, meter out restriction is to prefere to prevent cavitation

...controlling pump flow, be careful using meter out restriction on rod side...need pressure calculations....

/ Installed restricted orifice on my hydraulic toplink today
   / Installed restricted orifice on my hydraulic toplink today #6  
My HTL shipped from Surplus Center yesterday. I plan to put a restrictor in from the get-go.

Also, kennyd convinced me to get an iMatch and modify all my implements to fit the iMatch and be done with it. Time to dust off the MIG and Plasma Cutter.

I figure that a HTL mated to an iMatch that fits all my implements will be SWEET!!!

/ Installed restricted orifice on my hydraulic toplink today #7  
My HTL shipped from Surplus Center yesterday. I plan to put a restrictor in from the get-go.

Also, kennyd convinced me to get an iMatch and modify all my implements to fit the iMatch and be done with it. Time to dust off the MIG and Plasma Cutter.

I figure that a HTL mated to an iMatch that fits all my implements will be SWEET!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Installed restricted orifice on my hydraulic toplink today #8  
rjkobbeman, tnx for reply. I have a CCM top link and side link. I also have an iMatch.

I too am a kennyd and jenkinsph listener and convert.

Pete

Attachments

• tnt_imatch.jpg
    tnt_imatch.jpg
    610.2 KB · Views: 776
   / Installed restricted orifice on my hydraulic toplink today #9  
eepete, your rig sure looks nice. :thumbsup: I have a question though, do you find that your top link is to long? In the picture it looks like you can't get much forward tilt, is that the case or not even needed in your situations? :confused3:

/ Installed restricted orifice on my hydraulic toplink today #10  
Picture is worth 1000 words, here's 4000 words worth of answer :).

I still have the manual side link on the other side, so if I want to get out of the cab I can bias the side to side tilt a bit more.

The hoses going up for the tilt are a little odd. This winter I'll look at getting them to re-direct under the tractor and not so they are touching the rear window of the cab. jenkinsph has his set up that way, it's cleaner.

Pete

Attachments

• tnt_down_small.jpg
    tnt_down_small.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 287
  • tnt_up_small.jpg
    tnt_up_small.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 298
  • tnt_left_small.jpg
    tnt_left_small.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 309
  • tnt_right_small.jpg