Help, what is it, and why is it leaking. :)

/ Help, what is it, and why is it leaking. :) #1  

JP11

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 2518
I took a picture of the valve to my new (to me) hydraulic feed on my Patu chipper.

This part that is leaking looks similar to parts on other hydraulic stuff I own. I'm not sure of it's feature. I removed it.. It looks like a valve of sorts. However.. the cap itself is what is leaking.. center of the hole. I circled it in the picture.

Replace it? I have a couple really good hydraulic shops in town... i'm just curious before i go.

Thanks

JP

Attachments

• Hydro Leak.jpg
    Hydro Leak.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 202
   / Help, what is it, and why is it leaking. :) #2  
That looks like it may be the PRV (pressure relief valve) for that valve, it may have an o-ring in there that seals it. If it is indeed the PRV, you will need a gauge to reset it properly. Any name or numbers on the valve?

/ Help, what is it, and why is it leaking. :)
Thanks

Valve says SV60

It sounds like if that's the pressure relief valve.. it is opening and letting pressure out the tiny hole in the end. It drips constantly when the tractor is running. Tractor is open center, so hydraulic pressure is available at all times to the chipper.

So you think that this relief valve is set a bit too low? I'm not sure how I would set it.. unless it's the spring size or tension inside that determines pressure relief value.

Thanks again

JP

/ Help, what is it, and why is it leaking. :) #4  
I took a picture of the valve to my new (to me) hydraulic feed on my Patu chipper.

This part that is leaking looks similar to parts on other hydraulic stuff I own. I'm not sure of it's feature. I removed it.. It looks like a valve of sorts. However.. the cap itself is what is leaking.. center of the hole. I circled it in the picture.

Replace it? I have a couple really good hydraulic shops in town... i'm just curious before i go.

Thanks

JP

Could it possibly be threads in that hole, and you are missing an allen set screw or plug? kinda unusual to see a hole like that on a PRV....:confused:

More info...

If that PRV was failing.. would that be letting off pressure internal to the valve?

The reason I ask... the hydro feed on the chipper seemed very "weak" to me. For the pressure that's there on the tractor, I expected that motor to be stronger.

Now.. that being said, I'm due for a hydro filter change.. that's always step one, and has usually cured whatever hydro issues i have with the old 1966 tractor.

Thanks again.

Could it possibly be threads in that hole, and you are missing an allen set screw or plug? kinda unusual to see a hole like that on a PRV....:confused:

Not that i can see. I can't even see that there is a hole in there for relief. I dug in it with a sheetrock screw just seeing if there was junk in there. I really wish I wasn't out of brake cleaner spray. That, and a good light might show me that it's cracked in there or something.

I plan to take the whole valve out,and bring to hydraulic shop tomorrow.

/ Help, what is it, and why is it leaking. :) #7  
Last edited:
J J.

Not a bad tip over all. My hydro shop didn't charge me a cent for labor. He must have spent 10 minutes taking it apart and cleaning it. (the valve needle was stuck in there) He spent another 10 minutes finding new o rings for the whole thing. In the end.. I think he charged me about a buck for the two o rings. I did buy some other fittings, and have plans to cycle my hyraulic rams from my loader thru the shop.

Nice folks, and very helpful. I'll be going back. Mountain Machine Works in Auburn ME.

As for the chipper.. works like a champ now. I did install one knife flipped over in my "rookie-ness" with the new machine. All tightened up and running good. One more issue with a spring on the handle to keep er in "gear" for the hydro feed direction.. just needs a spring installed.

Thanks All

JP