hyd fluid /vs atf

/ hyd fluid /vs atf #1  

rbushmaster

whats better? for a log splitter
22 gpm barnes 2 stage pump

/ hyd fluid /vs atf #2  
What do you mean better? It will give you faster cycle times. Do you have the engine to power the pump?. It will take a 12 HP engine to run it. You can also add to your cycle times by using the fast extend log splitter valve from Prince. A smaller cyl will also increase the cycle times. So what you have to decide is, whether you want power, or fast cycle times.

Hydraulic fluid. Probably the same hyd fluid as your tractor if you have one.

Although in some of the Case machines, they say you can use ATF.

/ hyd fluid /vs atf #3  
I don't think you require the friction modified ability the ATF has so 10W or Hydraulic 68 would be better (viscosity dependant on ambient temps in your region) .

/ hyd fluid /vs atf
jj,
im just finishing building this splitter
18hp twin briggs
22 gpm 2 stage pump
4.5"bore 2"rod
and was wondering if there was any benefit running atf over hydraulic fluid.
moisture retention, is one better suited for colder temps etc
either way it most likley be synthetic fluid

/ hyd fluid /vs atf #5  
The ATF will work if that is all that you have. It has been used as a hyd fluid for a good many years. in all parts of the world. Actually you can use 10W-30 also. Our Power-Tracs all use 10W-30 as the hyd fluid, and has been doing well for at least 30 years, and it can be found almost anywhere.

/ hyd fluid /vs atf #6  
ATF. engine oil like 10W-30, hydraulic oil are all based on petroleum....so for hydraulic purposes they will all do the same job.....They might have different VI, Viscosity Index, but for your actual ambient temperature/cooling capacity, I think regular hydraulic oil will do you most favor....It has the additives you need....
BTW, I strongly do not think you can track any noticeable faster cycle times with ATF oil....I think thats a MYTH till other wise proofed...

10W-30 (or what ever viscosity you need) engine oil have good properties for hydraulic use....

Let your wallet decide....and I think hydraulic will be price competitive...
Hydro-oil ISO 46 5USG=37$
Engine-oil 10W-30 5USG=50$

Both cheapest Traveller brand at Tractor Supply

EDIT: ATF price similar to engine oil, about 10$/USG

Last edited:
   / hyd fluid /vs atf
thanks guys,
i have a old Bobcat skid steer at work and it uses atf , was kinda curiuos
as to why thought maybe one fluid had a advantage over another

/ hyd fluid /vs atf #8  
Just Don't Mix !!!!!

I let my one of my older Brothers borrow my log splitter years ago . He took it home and felt it needed to be topped off with fluid , ( although you are suppose to keep it no less than 1" below check / fill plug per little sticker on splitter by plug ) . He added Hyd. fluid to the already full ATF fluid in tank . I guess it was pretty interesting seeing the pinkish foam coming out of the breather cap as it also created a pretty good mess .:laughing:

My questions shortly after he first called :

1) Did you add anything to tank or allow water to get in tank ?

2) Why did you add to tank ? See sticker on tank by plug ?

3) What did you add ? ( actually asked this twice just to make sure !! )

4) Did you not see the big label on the filter that states " USE ATF fluid
Only " !

Can't remember , but seems like he had to drain the tank and flush system at least a couple of times , but I was thinking it was like 3 times , before it would stop foaming . :laughing:

He eventually bought it from me for $300 less than what I told him I would sell it for , which was half of what I paid for it new . :mad:
My other 2 Brothers were not impressed with that deal either , so they are very reluctant / impossible for him to borrow anything from them . He lives 600 miles away from the 3 of us , so if he don't have it and we wont loan it , guess he got's to go buy it .:thumbsup:

Fred H.

/ hyd fluid /vs atf #9  
i have a old Bobcat skid steer at work and it uses atf , was kinda curiuos
as to why thought maybe one fluid had a advantage over another

Of course, ATF is just another hydraulic fluid, one that is optimized for
torque converters and wet brakes/clutches. Many many plain old
hydraulic systems with no brakes, clutches, or converters specify ATF.

Include these: many automotive power steering systems, Genie Lifts,
other Fenner-powered systems, like Tommy-Lifts.

In my experience plain old clear, name-brand ISO 46 is the cheapest
hyd fluid I have found, not including no-brand generics.