Hydraulic Filter ?'s for Log Splitter

/ Hydraulic Filter ?'s for Log Splitter #1  

LanceH

Silver Member
Hey all, Happy Labor Day!

I'm trying to figure out if and where I want a hydraulic filter on my homemade log splitter that I'm building. Surplus Center has filters and strainers for both suction and return line sides, but I can't decide which one to buy.

I have a filter on the return side of my TSC Huskee splitter but that doesnt make sense. If you get dirt in your tank, then you push it through your pump, valve, cylinder before they get to your filter/strainer.

But if I put the filter/strainer on the suction side, I have to pay more for the product. I know in the long run my big money items like the valve, pump, and cylinder will last longer-so its worth it.

What are the pro's/con's of either side and for my log splitter application, which would you fella's recommend?

My splitter will be a 10hp diesel powered, 16gpm, 5x24 cylinder.

Thanks for your time!

/ Hydraulic Filter ?'s for Log Splitter #2  
The problem with putting it on the suction side, is that if it gets clogged up, the pump could be ruined, but there are gauges to remind you to change. The return line filters are used most of the time, and the logic is, that if the tank fluid is clean, then so is the rest of the system. Then you have to think of the small pieces of seals, hose particles, metal flakes, rust, etc. You could even do both, but watch the suction filter closely. Then there is the micron rating. What size micron do you want.

Tank size is important also to get rid of the heat and let the contaminants settle out, including any air that might be sucked in.

/ Hydraulic Filter ?'s for Log Splitter
Good Points JJ. Maybe I'll go with the filter on the suction side, but add the gauges for the reminder.

My tank is about 20"x14"x15"h, whatever the exact dimensions are, it holds about 15 gallons. I know that long and skinny is better to dissipate heat. The squareish ones from Surplus Center or Northern Tools are too expensive and even less likely to dissapate heat.

/ Hydraulic Filter ?'s for Log Splitter #4  
I am not necessarily recommended the suction filter, but all the Power-Tracs have used the suction filter for more than 30 years, and the micron rating is 10 . That is primarily for the hydrostatic pump which has to have clean fluid. There will be people that will convince you suction filters is bad. The logic is how clean do you want the fluid, and where do you want to start cleaning/filtering the fluid.

Again, most manufactures use the return line filters.

/ Hydraulic Filter ?'s for Log Splitter #5  
Keep using a good size return filter...a strainer is OK, but only under the fill cap...and use a large breather filter...have fill and breather raised a few inches from the top of the tank....remember that it is the atmospheric pressure that charges the pump with oil... no air or flow restrictions "allowed" on suction side....

/ Hydraulic Filter ?'s for Log Splitter #6  
totally agree here guy's , use a really good return filter with a high Beta rating,start with a clean system, use a good vent filter,filter the oil before you pour it in the tank and you should have years of fun with your machine. IMO a 100 mesh suction filter just keeps the really big stuff out of the pump, the small stuff will still get to pump/valves and if you have to worry about this stuff..... IT'S TO LATE..... Jim