Ferguson TO30 Hydraulic Problem

/ Ferguson TO30 Hydraulic Problem #1  

juddsster

Tractor
Ferguson TO30
Hello All,

First, thanks for reading. I hate for my first post to be a request for help with a problem on my tractor; however, I figured ask the folks who really know these things!

I picked up a TO30 not too long ago, and have been fixing odd and end little things and finally have got it up and running. The good news is that she runs really strong! But I have a problem in the hydraulic system, and wanted some advice...

My lift will go up and down. However, in order for my lift to go down, I have to be pushing the hydraulic control lever all of the way down. Otherwise, my lift will come up automatically all the way to the top. I've read on line that this may be a dump/unloader valve issue. I've looked in my shop manual for the tractor (I decided to try figuring it out via that way first), but I dont see exactly what that part is.

My question to anyone kind enough to answer, is what do you think this problem may be, and what would be the process to repair it? Thanks so much for your time yall!

Judd

Just one quick edit to follow up with my mechanical ability, and terminology familiarity... I only have a little bit, so you may have to dumb things down for me. But this dog gone tractor is trying its hardest to make a mechanic outta me~

/ Ferguson TO30 Hydraulic Problem #2  
Hello. Try searching in the vintage tractor sections. I recall something similar being addressed and I'm not sure if it was a TO 20 or 30; or an 9N. I have a TO20 and I think the hydraulics are identical; or very similar.

I hear that "the T*-20 fergs will be similar to the 9n/2n fords directly.. and less so to the 8n.

the hyd pump and top hyd cover from a T*-20 will bolt right into a ford 9n/2n.. etc."

I hope this helps you.

/ Ferguson TO30 Hydraulic Problem
Thanks,

Ive read around on there, but unfortunately havent found anything yet...

/ Ferguson TO30 Hydraulic Problem #4  
:welcome:
I don't recall that particular problem with my TO-30, only that the 3 ph control lever was a bit frustrating. I thought for a while it should act like the 8N Ford I was familiar with, but the TO-30 doesn't have position control. Either it is going up or down.

But do recall it wasn't a big problem to remove the hydraulics pump and control.

Is it the I&T manual that you have?

I did like the TO-30 for its power :)

/ Ferguson TO30 Hydraulic Problem #5  
juddsster,

May I suggest e-mailing your question to this gentlemen:

Ferguson Tractors <fergusontractors@tiscali.co.uk>

tp

/ Ferguson TO30 Hydraulic Problem #6  
juddsster,

May I suggest e-mailing your question to this gentlemen:

Ferguson Tractors <fergusontractors@tiscali.co.uk>

tp

and share the information with us all if you would be so kind.

I actually have a reproduction of the shop manual, and it shows disassembly, but nothing about a dump valve unfortunately

/ Ferguson TO30 Hydraulic Problem #8  
there is NOT an unloading talve in a to30 it uses a valve in pump design pretty much the same as the 20 /9n /2n just an intake and exhaust valve as detailed in the I&T manual.

are you saying that you lower the 3pt control, and that the hand control will rise back up? if so repair the friction disc.

past that if the 3pt drops when the handle is down.. and comes up when the handle is up.. that's about all you get out of draft hyds when trying to use it as position control.

soundguy

Hi Soundguy,

Not exactly. The arm will stay down, or up. except for the most extreme position of down for the lift arm (Me physically holding the control arm down), the lift itself will go up.

If Im holding the arm all the way down, and let go, the arm will come up maybe one-half inch, but the lift will come all the way to the top.

Thanks for the info though, definitely some useful feedback

/ Ferguson TO30 Hydraulic Problem #10  
I'd check the t valve. sounds like the intake is stuck / sticky..

soundguy