Ford 640 Hydraulics slow

/ Ford 640 Hydraulics slow #1  

lawdealer

Tractor
1954 Ford 640
Hydraulic fluid is gray and seems like range will vary sometimes, will raise 5' brush hog slow one time and fast another. Lever under seat seems like has 3 positions, up center or level and down. Would like to know what all 3 positions of lever are for, currently lever is wired in up position, this is where it was when I bought tractor.

/ Ford 640 Hydraulics slow #2  
I leave my lever in full upright position unless I want to lower thethreepoint after shutdown. Mine will hold for qite a long time with engine off.
I t may be a good idea to drain and pull the plate under theseat and clean as best you can and go back with regular hydraulic oil.
It worked fine for me. Oh, I blew and made sure the piston and cylinder were free of rever silt and water etc.
MP

/ Ford 640 Hydraulics slow #3  
Hydraulic fluid is gray and seems like range will vary sometimes, will raise 5' brush hog slow one time and fast another. Lever under seat seems like has 3 positions, up center or level and down. Would like to know what all 3 positions of lever are for, currently lever is wired in up position, this is where it was when I bought tractor.

the lil 3" lever is draft control lever.

up for position, down for draft.

grey oil menas it is laoded with water.

dump in about a gallon of diesel, a quart of older type F atf or the universal non friction modified stuff, and 2 pints of 90% rubbing alcohol. go for a ride around the farm. drain the hyds.. refill with utf meeting the M2C134 spec. ( tsc, walmart..e tc. )

if the lift does not have full range of motion unless you dink with the lil handle, the internal linkages need adjusting and likely you need to renew the cam follower pin, if not the cam surface itself too.

cam pin is about 2$ .. oring and gasket kit about 13$... and a basic service manual ( fo-20 ) is about 30$.. 2g refill oil.. 21$.. flush materials about 11$

soundguy