Problems connecting hydraulic lines on Backhoe

/ Problems connecting hydraulic lines on Backhoe #1  

Rand

I've connected and used the backhoe on my JD 2305 tractor several times in the past. Today I tried to connect the backhoe again for use, and for whatever reason I cannot reconnect the hydraulic hoses to the backhoe. I retract the female ends and the other connector just simply won't go inside completely. I tapped the control arm on the front end loader thinking that would relieve the hydraulic pressure, but it didn't help. Something I'm missing????

/ Problems connecting hydraulic lines on Backhoe #2  
Both sides of the QD's have to be relieved.

/ Problems connecting hydraulic lines on Backhoe #3  
If anything moves on your hoe while it is off the tractor, you can end up with trapped pressure in the lines. As J.J. says, you need to relieve the lines on the hoe. Cover the quick disconnect with a rag to contain any oil spray and tap on the check in the quick disconnects to relieve the pressure.

When you take off your backhoe you need to make sure all pressure is relieved in the hoe and everything is resting on the ground before you disconnect the lines.

/ Problems connecting hydraulic lines on Backhoe #4  
How many of us have learned that lesson the hard way!

/ Problems connecting hydraulic lines on Backhoe #5  

When I first came across this issue I was at a lost and after spending several hours trying to make the connection, I finally gave up and called my dealer. Darn, that was a lot like stopping to ask for directions (pre GPS).

If I leave the backhoe off for more than a day, I block it so I don't get the pressure build up.

/ Problems connecting hydraulic lines on Backhoe #6  

Me! Once the solution came to me (yes, I thunk the answer all by myself!), I was amazed at how quickly the connectors went together. And I don't think I've had to relieve pressure on them since.

Mike

/ Problems connecting hydraulic lines on Backhoe #7  
If you leave that BH outside, the heat will build up and make connecting difficult. If there is a lot of pressure for whatever reason, then you have to remove the QD's in a safe place , wear a mask and watch out for something to collapse, like a boom, or bucket, etc. A large cyl can hold a lot of fluid.

Someone om TBN made a hand tool that you place over the QD and squeeze.the handles to push the balls or poppets in to relieve the pressure.

/ Problems connecting hydraulic lines on Backhoe #8  
If one of the QD's in a set is fixed to a bulkhead fitting or something solid (not on a hose) then I like to put a 90 deg fitting on the opposite movable hose end between the other QD and hose......then a light tap on the elbow while trying to connect clears the pressure and keeps the oil in the hoses......Less mess......:)