Cleaning up new hoses

/ Cleaning up new hoses #1  

picker77

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3032E, dual remotes, TnT, tooth bar, grapple
Maybe everybody else already knows this, but I'm a newbie to hydraulics, so here's my story:

Had a couple of new 38" hoses made up at a JD dealership the other day, and when I got them home, just as a precaution I filled them each about 1/2 full of diesel fuel, sloshed them around a while and drained them into a paper towel, then blew them out good with air. I did this on the advice of an experienced hydraulics shop guy I know. He recommended using diesel fuel for rinsing, and cautioned me never to put alcohol, lacquer thinner, gasoline, or any other volatile liquid in a hydraulic hose--apparently that will dry out the rubber and contribute to future cracks or something. Sounded logical to me. Anyway, I wish I had taken a photo of the black rubber crumbs and crud that came out of one of them, probably more than a teaspoon full. I suppose it was residue from whatever method they used to cut the new hose (a cutoff wheel?). The other hose was clean as a whistle-go figure.

So before you slap on those new hoses you just got, rinse and blow them out good. Otherwise, you might end up with nasty stuff in your cylinders, valves, or filter!

/ Cleaning up new hoses #2  
Yes, that is a good practice for sure. Good hose shops will clean them after assembly.

/ Cleaning up new hoses #3  
I suppose it was residue from whatever method they used to cut the new hose (a cutoff wheel?). The other hose was clean as a whistle-go figure.

The newish ultra thin cutoff wheels (5"x1mm) are good for keeping the muck to a minimum and as a bonus they seem to fray the wire braid less.

But yes it would still be a good idea to rinse the hose out - I think I usually remember.

I've used petrol, probably ok if they'll have oil in them soon.

/ Cleaning up new hoses #4  
If the proper blade is used the contaminants are minimal...

Cut-Off Blades, LLC

.Abrasive wheels do work but need cleaning afterward.....But it's a good practice to always clean......:thumbsup: