Paint your hoses

/ Paint your hoses #1  

Laneman

Bronze Member
Here's a tip I learned: The outer covering of hydraulic hoses cracks due to sun exposure. Water base exterior house paint provides 100% UV protection. Not sure if oil base paint does as well, but I know water based does. When I painted my loader I painted all of the hoses, albeit with oil base. I think they will hold up just as well.

/ Paint your hoses #2  
I wouldnt use any airsol paints as the propellant is typically not rubber friendly. I would also worry about cracking of the paint over time at the areas which flex. Why not use hose sleeves? those will also help against abraision and is fairly inexpensive.

/ Paint your hoses #3  
Maybe I should have painted my trailer tires when I replaced them, not just the rims.....They are 5 years old and look worse for cracks than the 20yr old Goodyears that I took off!!!

/ Paint your hoses #4  
Maybe I should have painted my trailer tires when I replaced them, not just the rims.....They are 5 years old and look worse for cracks than the 20yr old Goodyears that I took off!!!
Planned obsolescence on modern rubber.
larry

/ Paint your hoses #5  
If you're going to do this, it is probably a good idea to make note of the layline on your hoses and write it down somewhere. As someone in the hose business, I get phone calls very often from people wanted us to make replacement hoses for them, and they have no idea what hoses they have on their equipment now, or what kind of pressure the replacement hoses must handle.