Snow Plow Cylinders

/ Snow Plow Cylinders #1  

horsinaround

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 Kubota F3080
I bought a used Curtis plow and converted it to a QA plate for my tractor.
The plow was sitting outside for a long time and I suspect that the cylinders are rusted up, but have no way of knowing, other than hooking it up and letting it flow.
My concern is that once that is done, if rusted, all the rust will go into the system.

It is getting close to snow time, and I need to get it opperational.

Can Plow cylinders be rebuilt? Is it worth it? They are about $100 each.... I know it is a something thousand dollar tractor, so what am I worried about another $200? Well, that is how I got a something thousand dollar tractor, worrying about the small stuff.

If I take it to a hydraulic shop, they will likely charge 50-80 per hour to break them down (if possible) and then parts on top.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

/ Snow Plow Cylinders #2  
SA (single acting) plow cylinders are re-built VERY easily. Remove the gland nut on top and pull them apart.

/ Snow Plow Cylinders
Maybe the rebuild is easy, but breaking that nut loose... that is the tough part. Any hints on getting it busted loose? Assuming I get it apart, where can I get parts?

/ Snow Plow Cylinders #4  
Keep the cylinder, at least the base end attached to the plow while breaking the nut loose. A big wrench-even a pipe wrench will be needed. Parts are available online or locally at any hydraulic shop...post some pictures and we can give more detail.

/ Snow Plow Cylinders #5  
Fill the cylinder a couple times and unhook, and push cylinder back in to evacuate fluid in there. Should even be able to extend cylinder by hand to fill with fluid, and waste fluid in a pan so you can see if it is dirty. May be only talking a quart.

/ Snow Plow Cylinders #6  
I did exactly the same thing...Curtis Plow....check Surplus Center..prices are $60.00-$70.00 for NEW cylinders...do you really want to mess around with those old cylinders and contaminate your tractor?

/ Snow Plow Cylinders #7  
I just mounted a plow with angle cylinders to my ford 1720. The cylinders are single action ( one line to them). I attched it to my curl action on loader. The pistons don't retact.
What do I need to do so the piston works both ways?

thanks ,Mark

/ Snow Plow Cylinders #8  
I just mounted a plow with angle cylinders to my ford 1720. The cylinders are single action ( one line to them). I attched it to my curl action on loader. The pistons don't retact.
What do I need to do so the piston works both ways?

thanks ,Mark

Pictures or a diagram of how you hooked up the hydraulics will help here.

But with a single acting cylinder, the onlything that makes them "retract" is the other cylinder pusing the plow in the opposite direction. So, assuming you had them unhooked from the plow jsut to test them, they will not retract.

If your loader has a joystick, left=curl and right =dump. So you would need to hook the hydraulic line that goes to the base of the dump cylinder to the angle cylinder on the left, and the hydraulic line on the front of the dump cylinders to the right angle cylinder. This will make the left angle cylinder extend (plow will angle right) when you push the joystick to the right(dump) position and vice versa.

But again, it will only work with BOTH angle cylinders hooked up to the plow. Because they are single acting cylinders, they can only exert force in one direction. That is why there are two of them.

/ Snow Plow Cylinders #10  
yES you cant do it. i tried with my 1720 also the regen part makes it not work as it would seem to.I had to run a seperate line.