What's OK to substitute for univeral hydraulic oil in a pinch?

/ What's OK to substitute for univeral hydraulic oil in a pinch? #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
I lost some HST oil in the field last week when a backhoe fitting came loose. There actually was not a huge loss so this question is hypothetical. If I'd lost enough that my HST would not function and I was immobilized what are my options? It turns out I don't have any spare HST fluid at the moment and I was wondering what I might have done if I hadn't discovered the leak until my HST reservoir was critically low.

Would it be OK to top up with motor oil? Say Rotella 15-40 as that is what I keep around. Would 90W gear oil be preferred? If one did add say a gallon or two of non HST oil (about 25% in my case), would you just leave it in, remove some to dilute it with standard universal HST oil or would you flush the whole system once you'd recovered the tractor?

/ What's OK to substitute for univeral hydraulic oil in a pinch? #2  
I lost some HST oil in the field last week when a backhoe fitting came loose. There actually was not a huge loss so this question is hypothetical. If I'd lost enough that my HST would not function and I was immobilized what are my options? It turns out I don't have any spare HST fluid at the moment and I was wondering what I might have done if I hadn't discovered the leak until my HST reservoir was critically low.

Would it be OK to top up with motor oil? Say Rotella 15-40 as that is what I keep around. Would 90W gear oil be preferred? If one did add say a gallon or two of non HST oil (about 25% in my case), would you just leave it in, remove some to dilute it with standard universal HST oil or would you flush the whole system once you'd recovered the tractor?

Oil is cheaper than parts and for short term "get your butt out of trouble" engine oil, ATF or other hydraulic oil, but never 90 w gear lube. It is to thick and would cavitate the pump.

Depending on the amount of oil involved I would probably drain and replace all the fluid. Again oil is cheaper than parts.

Roy

Last edited:
   / What's OK to substitute for univeral hydraulic oil in a pinch? #3  
i agree.. in a dire emergency.. I'd try to put in something between 10w and 30w.. 15w40 be ok.. but no gear oil.

when out of trouble.. I may drain it depending on what I put in, and how much.

a quart? nope..

30% of it? yep!

soundguy

/ What's OK to substitute for univeral hydraulic oil in a pinch? #4  
something like a 10w30 would be best in a pinch

/ What's OK to substitute for univeral hydraulic oil in a pinch?
Thanks guys. That was my instinct too. I mentioned the heavy gear oil just because front axle specs seem to accept either HST oil or gear oil. I guess the point is that both can lubricate gears but one is too thick for a hydraulic pump.

/ What's OK to substitute for univeral hydraulic oil in a pinch? #6  
It may be entirely different for use in pumps...but regular vegetable oil will work in things like hydraulic clutch cylinders...

/ What's OK to substitute for univeral hydraulic oil in a pinch? #7  
If the tractor is under warranty, I would let it sit until you could get the specified hyd fluid. The Power-Tracs that a lot of us use, 10-W-40, and have used it for about 30 years. It would be better to use the specified fluid as the parts may have been built with certain specifications utilizing that fluid.

On my Case trencher hydraulics, they say to use 10W-30 motor oil or ATF, but did not say to mix them.

Probably any mineral based oil would work.

/ What's OK to substitute for univeral hydraulic oil in a pinch? #8  
Why not go out and pick up reccomended oil for the HST and have it on hand. :thumbsup:

The HST's might not work well with oil not specified for them.:):confused:

Gear oil or HST fluid in the front axle is quite different a situation as there are no pumps involved.:)

/ What's OK to substitute for univeral hydraulic oil in a pinch?
Why not go out and pick up reccomended oil for the HST and have it on hand. :thumbsup:

The HST's might not work well with oil not specified for them.:):confused:

Gear oil or HST fluid in the front axle is quite different a situation as there are no pumps involved.:)

Recall this is a hypothetical question. Sure it is always nice to have extra supplies on hand but my tractor is on an island so I cannot pop down to the local Walmart if I run out. In fact I do have an extra 5 gallons of HST oil on hand but was interested in thoughts regarding motor oil as a substitute in a crunch.

thanks to all who replied.

/ What's OK to substitute for univeral hydraulic oil in a pinch? #10  
yep.. it's one of those.. just about any oil is better than no oil.. except that the heavy stuff is no good due to cavitation.. mind you.. 2-3 g of gear oil into 8-10 g of utf oil probably wouldn't bring the overall viscosity up a whole lot.. but I wouldn't want to do it..

soundguy