This might be another one of those dumb questions

/ This might be another one of those dumb questions #1  

ampa

Gold Member
I'm usin' two double actin' cylinders/rams....one to raise and lowerin' my new plough the other one is for the left and right angle.....dumb question is this...... both cylinders/rams have a port/fitting nipple or whatever they are called :confused2:..... one at the top and one on the bottom...which input/fitting nipple under pressure drives the cylinder/ram up and which one lowers it.....I warned you all it was a dumb question....

I need and like to know this ahead of time...to save time...on changin' everything around if I connect them incorrectly.... hopefully I may get around to connect the whole system up either tomorrow or the next day...

normal operation for me would be when I push forward on the valve handle/lever.....I would assume it will raise up the snowblade and not down.....same with my angle.....

forward to turn it to the left and drawback on the valve handle/lever to bring it towards me which would be (my) righthand side.well this is the way I'd like it to be....someone left handed may want it completely opposite...I'm right handed......thanks in advance....Ampa :confused2:

Last edited:
   / This might be another one of those dumb questions #2  
I'm usin' two double actin' cylinders/rams....one raise and lowerin' my plough the othe one for left and right angle.....dumb question is this...... both cylinders/rams have a port or connection input...which one makes the cylinder/ram raise up and which one lowers it.....I told you it was a dumb question....

I need to know so when I finally connect the whole system up and when I push forward on the valve handle/lever I like to see it raise up my plough and not down.....same with my angle..... forward to the left and back for the right....thanks in advance....Ampa :confused2:

Think of it this way:

The cylinder moves away from the hole. The hole at the end of the cylinder moves the ram out. The hole at the ram end, moves the cylinder back in.

/ This might be another one of those dumb questions #3  
Think of it this way:

The cylinder moves away from the hole. The hole at the end of the cylinder moves the ram out. The hole at the ram end, moves the cylinder back in.

Good description Gary:thumbsup:

/ This might be another one of those dumb questions #4  
I'm usin' two double actin' cylinders/rams....one to raise and lowerin' my new plough the other one is for the left and right angle.................

normal operation for me would be when I push forward on the valve handle/lever.....I would assume it will raise up the snowblade and not down.........

"Normal" if you have a FEL is to pull back to raise, and push to lower.
But you can adapt pretty quick to whatever is set up. :)

Agree with Gary, and also don't think there are any "dumb" questions. :D

/ This might be another one of those dumb questions #5  
I believe the standard is push for down, and pull for up. You can connect the work ports anyway you want to suit your purpose. Just switch the work port hoses until it is right.

A joystick would have been ideal, with lever back for up, and lever forward for down, and lever left for plow angle left, and right for angle right.

/ This might be another one of those dumb questions
You guys are all correct...I'm thinkin' the 12 volt electric winch up and down button the the top one for up and the bottom one for down.....how silly of me to compare it with hydraulic's.....push lever forward for down and pull back to raise....makes perfect sense...has nothin' to do with bein' left or right handed although my lady is left handed and she can write just as good either....my mind is so boggled up with this project I can't seem to think....now I have to figure out how to mearsure out the hose lengths although I had some tips on usin' a garden hose...I have a spare air hose I could use as well my garden hose probley has water inside it plus it has sand on it Hmmmmm...thanks once again guys for all your help....you guys get will get all the credit if this thing works as planned..... and I'll take the credit if it don't :D.....as always thanks guys for all the help..... early seasonal greetings to all of you....Ampa :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / This might be another one of those dumb questions #7  
Push fordown and pull for up is logic, and I would not be surprized if OSHA expect it to be a standard too...there is definately a safety reason for it...so I would think it is a good idea to stick with it...

/ This might be another one of those dumb questions #8  
I made life easy when I built my FEL. Put the Spool Valve at a 45 degree angle . This way up is up and down is, well down.

/ This might be another one of those dumb questions #9  
Mounted mine at 50 degrees and it is really easy to get to and operate and doesn't interfere with getting on and off the tractor. Just wish now that I had turned it sideways. Would have made putting the hoses on easier.

/ This might be another one of those dumb questions #10  
If you got real creative and used a joystick valve you could connect it so up is up, down is down, and right and left are right and left (respectively).

:)