Top & Tilt Questions

/ Top & Tilt Questions #1  

gekog

Tractor
1991 Case IH 535
To achieve the 'tilt' part, do I need hydraulics on both arms? If not, will the hydraulics on just one of the arms allow for tilt in either direction? Last, if just one arm needs hydraulics, does it matter which one has the hydraulics?

thanks
gekog

/ Top & Tilt Questions #2  
No, you do not need hydraulics on both links. In fact, doing so will add undue stress to the 3PH.

/ Top & Tilt Questions #3  
Here are a few pictures of a "TnT" set. Normally the hydraulic side link is installed on the right side of the tractor and a lot of people will install the OEM adjustable link on the left. You would then set the hydraulic to be 1/2 extended and then match that position with the adjustable OEM link. With the lower arms being level you then will have equal ability to tilt both to the right and left sides.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    797.8 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    710.6 KB · Views: 395
  • P7040004.JPG
    P7040004.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 311
   / Top & Tilt Questions #5  
will the hydraulics on just one of the arms allow for tilt in either direction?

Yes, if you adjust everything so the hydraulic cylinder is halfway extended (or halfway retracted) when the two arms are level. That's what I, and others, have done.

/ Top & Tilt Questions #6  
Why do you think that 2 hydraulic side links can create stress? :confused:

Because I read this from CCM's FAQ on TnT:

Can I use 2 hydraulic sidelinks? We do not recommend use of 2 hydraulic sidelinks. If you are doing this so you can exert down pressure it is not a good idea to do this. Most 3-point systems are not designed for the added down pressure force and will prematurely fail and cause unsafe situations with the added down force.

/ Top & Tilt Questions
Thanks for the answers. Can you tell me (about) how many degrees of angle I might expect from this setup?

gekog

/ Top & Tilt Questions #8  
Because I read this from CCM's FAQ on TnT:

Can I use 2 hydraulic sidelinks? We do not recommend use of 2 hydraulic sidelinks. If you are doing this so you can exert down pressure it is not a good idea to do this. Most 3-point systems are not designed for the added down pressure force and will prematurely fail and cause unsafe situations with the added down force.

Well, I have to disagree with CCM. 3RRL has them on both his and his wife's tractors and has had no ill effects. Has had them for many years and hundreds of hours with no problems. Now I do not know if he uses them for down pressure, but I do know that he is able to get twice the angle that you would normally be able to get with just the normal 1 adjustable side link. If you were to build your own hydraulic side link in a manor to only allow tilt in one direction to get maximum tilt, you too could have down pressure exerted and only have 1 hydraulic side link. That may be more of a problem than having the 2 hydraulic side links in my opinion.

I think what CCM wants or is implying that you need to buy your hydraulic side link from them or you will end up with something that might cause a problem. They also push their hydraulics with the DPOCVs, say that if you don't have it now, you will at some time. They also say this

2. Why does CCM sell hydraulic toplinks with check valves? Safety first is the main reason. OSHA and the EU require piloted check valves as a safety on agricultural and industrial equipment when an object is lifted with a hydraulic cylinder and has no mechanical safety catch.

If this is true, then I guess about every tractor sold in the United States is breaking the law. I know that none of my tractors have them, and none of the tractors that I have ever seen at dealers or AG shows have ever had them. I guess that CCM knows something that no one else knows. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, CCM sells some great stuff, I have one of their tillers and it is great, but my thinking is that some of the stuff that they say is for merchandising purposes.

But then I may be all wrong, after all I only know what I read on the Internet. ;)

/ Top & Tilt Questions #9  
Thanks for the answers. Can you tell me (about) how many degrees of angle I might expect from this setup?

gekog

Sorry for the bad pictures, but it is about 11 degrees in each direction. On my bigger tractor it was about 12 1/2 degrees.

Attachments

• IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 210
   / Top & Tilt Questions #10  
Here's what I got with one CCM 4" cylinder. I could play with the manual adjustment and balance it out a bit, it's good enough for what I do.

And there is shot of the entire 3pt assembly with TnT.

Pete

Attachments

• tnt_left_small.jpg
    tnt_left_small.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 219
  • tnt_right_small.jpg
    tnt_right_small.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 200
  • tnt_needle_rear_view.jpg
    tnt_needle_rear_view.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 490